Wedding Cake Sketch?

Business By Tellis12 Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:42pm by Tellis12

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 8

Do you do sketches, or something of the like, for your brides? Do you have an inexpensive program you use that works well? I made the mistake of telling a bride I'd put together a sketch for her... but I can't get it to work on my photoshop and my drawing skills are terrible! What do you do?

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

I sketch by hand onto printed out templates.

Here is a link to the gallery here where you can find quite a few different templates. Just print them out as you need them.

Usually I'm sketching while the bride and groom are doing their tasting and we're going over the design. I don't get into great detail at that point.

When they book and give me a deposit then I'll do a final color sketch, but still by hand. (I happen to like drawing, so it's kind of fun)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

HTH
Deb

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 8

I sketch on graph paper so I can do it to scale. I use colored pencils to color

Tellis12 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 8

Those are good tips. I ended up having my husband sketch it out last night. His was MUCH better than mine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 8

I sketch the stick figure equivalent of a cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

LOL! I'm always cakes in my head and then I put them on paper...and I think mine probably look worse than Leah's cake stick figure. I'm right there with ya on those drawings Leah!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

LOL! I'm always cakes in my head and then I put them on paper...and I think mine probably look worse than Leah's cake stick figure. I'm right there with ya on those drawings Leah!!

which is why there are plenty of templates in the patterns/sketches/templates gallery to make it easier.

BIG HINT!!!! -- for those who say "But I don't want the heavy lines to show in the final sketch --

well, take a piece of printer paper -- the cheap, thin kind. Lay it on TOP of a printout of the template. The lines will show through enough to guide you in making the shape, but will allow for a very subtle finished look without the heavy lines.

Tellis12 Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 8

I've been on this site for years but somehow missed the reason for the template gallery. Silly me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%