Chocolate Molding Clay Disaster...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 18 May 2009 , 12:33pm by Loucinda

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 10

Sorry for the length lol......

Ok a little while ago i posted a question about choc moudling clay and whether it was ok to use white cooking chocolate instead of normal chococlate. I did get a reply that it might not seem to matter except it is alot fattier.

I had also later down the topic brought up my problem i had when i made the choc coulding clay but didn't come to an answer on it so i am starting this topic.....

My prob with my white chocolate moudling clay was it was just NOTHING like it should be that i have seen!

Here is what i did : I melted the white chocolate (and it was the cooking stuff which is fattier unfortunately) then i got the liquid glucose and warmed it up until it became runnier (the first attempt i didn't warm it up) and then i put it into the bowl of choc and stired it and almost instantly it became like a whipped curdled dough and then became hard and then i put it in the fridge even though i knew it was ruined and it went like frozen hard even after 15 mins when i checked it! It was at no stage kneadable, it was a disaster!! lol

So i know what i have to do and i am doing it but maybe i am not seeing something or doing somthing right so please anyone who can give me advice on what i am doing wrong? it has stumped me but i don't want to give up! HELP icon_cry.gif

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #2 of 10

Get it to room temp and knead it all together. I mean if you haven't burned the chocolate then it should work. You could try and re-heat it some too. Maybe like in a slow slow oven.

Is this chocolate made with cocoa butter?

What is white cooking chocolate? Almond bark? I use it all the time. No worries. It does set up quick.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 10

hi, i just made a batch of merkens pure white chocolate .. i use mari senaga's recipe.. she demos at ices convention.. she makes beautiful chocolate flowers.. anyway. i used 1 lb. white chocolate to 1/2 cup of lite corn syrup.. like you know.. melt the chocolate on low in micro.. then add the corn syrup.. it seized up pretty fast.. poured it out on wax paper.. will not mess with it until tomorrow.. i have used her recipe since i met her at ices convention.. hope yours turns out for you.. good luck

Elise87 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 10

Sorry i havn't heard of almond bark, but white cooking chocolate in australia is as best described on a website as i don't have a packet with me 'a pure form of chocolate containing both cocoa butter and cocoa liquor. It is used to produce rich and creamy textures and can also aid in setting many recipes'.

I never bothered to look up an exact description but now that i read that just realized it said 'setting recipes', is this maybe why it went so hard then?

Elise87 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 10

icer101: yeh that is pretty much how i did it but my prob was that it started going from liquid to a glump dough within like 4 stirs like in no way pourable!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 10

yes,elise87, mine looks like that too.. i just spreaded it some.. put up for the night.. then tomorrow , i will knead it .. it always comes out good for me .. i have use this recipe since i met mari... i have got to make some roses for an upcoming 50th wedding anniversary.. i use this recipe for when i make like hydrangea blossoms and use the veiner , etc. it does really good. or making leaves and using the leaf veiners. i will let you know tomorrow if this batch comes out like it normally does.

Elise87 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 10

Ok i'll give it another go then and see how it goes, thanks icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 10

Almond bark is imitation chocolate sold here in grocery stores--I like it for chocolate modeling because I'm not trying to tweak paletes just make my project. I missed the fact that you are from Australia and so I did not account for the difference in terms, thought you mighta meant almond bark.

But this stuff is all about temperature so keep working with it.

When I make mine, whether with real chocolate or almond bark, I use the microwave and give it a few 30 second shots but let it rest in between so the temperature evens out throughout the batch then when I know it's all melted I add the corm syrup and again I let it sit unmixed for 7 or 8 more minutes so the carn syrup gets the same temp.

I don't rush the process--I let the temperature spread over the batch by giving it plenty of time. Then I can keep the temperature low and that's all chocolate needs.

But it does come together fast when you start stirring--but I mix mine in the (glass) container I melt it in and I just stir until I can't stir and let it cool off in there. You just gotta dig it out from there. If the oil separates, knead it back in or discard it--I've done it both ways.

Think gentle temperatures & letting time take it's course.

Elise87 Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 10

Good advice about the temps and all, i'll make sure to keep an eye on it next batch, thanks k8memphis icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 10

I have taken a paper towel and gotten the oil off of the clay after it has set. I make mine with the almond bark/melts and just don't like that oil in them. It looks like a mess, but like everyone has posted, it will come togther - just be patient!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%