Help...need Some Ideas For A Woodtick Cake!

Decorating By Rebecca78 Updated 18 May 2009 , 12:01pm by Rebecca78

Rebecca78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca78 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 5

My husband works with this guy who is retiring his nickname is Wood Tick...He is also a Logger hence the nickname...I am not sure if I should attempt a carved wood tick cake or try to just freehand one, My husband wants a full sheet cake... enough to feed 60 guys...any help is appreciated, Thanks!

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 5

my first thought was of Fred, the wood tick from the comic strip "Over the Hedge"

they always show him on a stump as a little dot, then a big speech balloon over his head as he exclaims (yells?) what's on his mind.

once I think they had a magnifying lens so he seemed bigger....

soooooo.....

could do a sheet w/ a take on that kind of image -- the stump fits a logger who has logged his last log

stump could be his new retirement home?

of course, instead of sheet cake, could make a cake that looks like a stump and that would still feed 60 (that would be 4 - 9" layers according to wilton's chart -- tho' I'd do 10" and 5 layers with the top layer cut on a slant for a better look and scraps from the cut top layer used to create roots )

cover in fondant, add bark details.

then add a little speck of a thing (bright red?) to be the wood tick (now wouldn't be funny if the guys name was actually fred?)

then attach a gumpaste plaque that seems to come from "Fred" with the message on it.

for added fun, in the strip they always have an arrow w/ a label the points at Fred, telling you it is Fred the wood tick.

-----

at last -- the trees are safe -- <name>, the Wood Tick, retires!

this MY stump -- go find your own to retire to!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

"This is my stump, go find your own to retire to!"

I love that! Perhaps you could add his nickname in there? "This is my stump, Wood Tick! Go find your own to retire to!"

THe first thing I thought of was a large 3d woodtick, but I like the stump idea better. I would try to make an axe (perhaps out of gumpaste, or rice krispie treats covered in gumpaste) and have that sticking out of the stump.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

I love doug's idea. You could make a great looking stump with the tree circles and all. Bark on the sides.

Rebecca78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca78 Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome Ideas!!! Thank you so much...I love the stump idea...I have wanted to try to make one of thoes, so perfect timing!! I will post pics when I am finished....Thanks again for the Ideas!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%