Can Piping Gel Go Bad?

Decorating By texasseegirl Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm by LittleLinda

texasseegirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 19

I have had a container of piping gel - unopened - for a long time - maybe close to 2 years. icon_surprised.gif I have never used piping gel before so I'm not sure what it should look like or what the consistency should be. Would it still be good if it has never been opened? It doesn't seem to smell bad - it has a yellow tint to it though and I didn't know if it should be a clear color.

Bottom line - what should I be looking for to determine if it is still ok to use! icon_cool.gif

Thanks!

Michelle

18 replies
Cakepro Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 19

It naturally has a yellowish tint to it. The piping gel I've seen that is no longer good has gelled into a clump. If you can stir it and it behaves normally with no odor or funky stuff in it, I would think it is good to use.

TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 19

I'm with CakePro. I just opened one up that I had in my cake room that has been in there a good year or two, and it was fine.

LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 19

I wondered the same about the stuff. I have some opened. I know you are not supposed to store it in the fridge. I tried to make my own twice and failed miserably.

sweetcravings Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 19

great question..i was thinking about this very same thing a few weeks back. I have an opened container of it in my pantry that is at least a yr or more old.

mareg Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 19

Why are you not supposed to put the gel in the fridge?

mbt4955 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 19

I almost hate to admit this, but I am taking the Wilton Fondant & Gumpaste class (this is not the "hate to admit" part icon_biggrin.gif). We were supposed to bring piping gel and I had a container that I had used when I took the first three classes ..... almost 4 years ago. Yes, it was opened four years ago. It was a little dark, but I smelled it and it seemed fine so I used it. No one got sick from my cake, so I guess it was okay. I would say that an unopened package would be perfectly fine!

Briarview Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:48am
post #8 of 19

This is a piping gel recipe I have been given.I have not tried it but is it the same as yours LittleLinda.
Piping Gel
Transparent gel that adds shimmer and sparkle to cakes.

2 tablespoons gelatine
2 tablespoons water (cold)
2 cups (500g) Glucose Syrup

1.  Use double boiler method i.e. container sitting in simmering water up to halfway of bowl.
2.  Dissolve gelatine in water immediately
3.  Add glucose and keep stirring until mixture cools.
4.  Store in fridge.

LittleLinda Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 19

Briarview, that was not my recipe because it didn't have glucose syrup. I'm willing to try that one if I even knew where to buy glucose syrup.

I don't have the recipe anymore because I failed at making it twice.

So, anybody know where to buy glucose syrup?

mbt4955 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 19

The more general term glucose syrup is often used synonymously with corn syrup, since the former is most commonly made from corn starch

shebaben Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 19

Doesn't Wilton sell a glucose???? Seems like I bought it by mistake when I really wanted glycerin one time....

mbt4955 Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 19

The posted recipe calls for two cups - that's why I googled glucose syrup. I had a feeling it was the same as corn syrup. I've seen that in some other threads.

sweetiesbykim Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 19

I've used glucose and corn syrup in making homemade fondant. Glucose is thicker (doesn't pour like syrup) and has less water than corn syrup, so you would need to adjust for the extra water if using corn syrup.

LittleLinda Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

I've used glucose and corn syrup in making homemade fondant. Glucose is thicker (doesn't pour like syrup) and has less water than corn syrup, so you would need to adjust for the extra water if using corn syrup.

Maybe that is how I failed if I used corn syrup as a substitute to glucose. Thanks!

mbt4955 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 19

I found a recipe for homemade piping gel. I saved it on my computer at work and will try to remember to post it here tomorrow.

LittleLinda Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I found a recipe for homemade piping gel. I saved it on my computer at work and will try to remember to post it here tomorrow.

Martha, could you look for that recipe on your work computer? I'd like to try it.

mbt4955 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 19

I'll look right now. I think I have it saved in a Word document.

Okay, here's one from http://design-wedding-cakes-pictures.blogspot.com/2007/03/free-easy-recipe-for-home-made-piping.html

1/3 cup sugar,
1 tablespoon cornflour,
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice,
1/4 cup water.

Mix sugar and corn flour in a small saucepan, gradually add juice then water. Stir over high heat until mixture boils then thickens. Colour as desired using liquid or powder
Dont take your eye off the ball whilst making it or it goes lumpy you have to stir it all the time. It keeps for weeks in the fridge.

Here's one from Taste of Home:

HOMEMADE PIPING GEL

2 cups white corn syrup
1-2 envelopes unflavored gelatin ( 2 envelopes make a stiffer gel)
2 Tbsp. cold water

Soak gelatin in 2 tablespoons water. Heat on low until clear and gelatin is melted, then add the corn syrup. allow to heat thoroughly, then store in a covered container. This product can be tinted with paste food colors. This should be stored in a refrigerator and used within a few weeks as it molds. This is because there are NO PRESERVATIVES in it.

and here's a thread on CC that came up ...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-33751-.html

Let me know which one you try and how it works out. I hardly ever use piping gel, but I'm venturing into fondant covered cakes and I would like to have some sitting around just in case.

Justbeck101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #18 of 19

Well, I bought some one time...the last time I ever bought any, and TRUST ME you will know if it is bad. It had giant fuzzy hair growth on it!!!!!

It was yuk. I threw it out.

LittleLinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #19 of 19

I wrote myself a note on the recipes to respond when I have tried any of them. Right now, I have no specific need to do it . It appears that those recipes ARE perishable, so maybe the purchased one is a better buy in the long run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%