Sugar Tiles From Tonights Cake Challenge

Sugar Work By momma28 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 10:03pm by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #61 of 68

Okay, so I finally got around to making these today. I just used sugar and red gel food coloring, and made them in the Wilton brownie bites pan. They were really easy and turned out great!!! icon_razz.gif Now, I just have to figure out how I want to use them . . . I found this great cake by Kristy Dooley, aka bakerbynight. Unfortunately, I made my tiles red, LOL.

http://www.threadcakes.com/entries/view/68

Thanks to everyone for all of the wonderful instructions and hints!

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #62 of 68

Thanks for all the great info!

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #63 of 68

WOW! awesome information. thank you ladies I will be trying these.. 1 question tho..does melting the sugar in a pot ruin it? How would you clean it?

JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

1 question tho..does melting the sugar in a pot ruin it? How would you clean it?

That's a good question -- I'm just now facing that dilemma!!! I put water in the saucepan and boiled it. That took care of all the sugar stuck inside, but now I'm wondering how to get off the stuff that's still around the rim?

I'm thinking I may have to boil water in a larger pot, then submerge the saucepan in it. If anyone can give me a better idea, I'm listening!!!

JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #65 of 68

Okay, clean-up is much easier than I thought!! I just found out that it doesn't have to be boiling water. Apparently, any water will melt it off! I just put the saucepan in a shallow sinkful of water, walked away for 1/2 hour or so, and the sugar was all gone! thumbs_up.gif

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #66 of 68

This website has a silicone stencil-type tool for hard candy and isomalt tiles. http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?ShopId=39&CatId=582&SubCatId=617&productId=636155 Also on the site, there is a cake decorated with the tiles on the home page. May need to wait until the correct picture comes up as they change. The tiles are blues.

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #67 of 68

Thanks for all the great tips!

JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:03pm
post #68 of 68

One more thing, just FYI, you CANNOT put sugar tiles or gems onto buttercream. I learned this the hard way -- I placed a red sugar gem on top of each cupcake and went to bed. The next morning, it looked like the cuppies were bleeding. It was so disgusting!!!! Apparently, BC makes the sugar tiles/gems melt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%