Fondant Drapes On Buttercream???

Decorating By diane Updated 18 May 2009 , 4:36pm by Tellis12

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 7

i am doing my daughter's graduation cake. she wants buttercream and fondant drapes.

my question: how do you attach fondant drapes so they won't fall off?
i would prefer a fondant covered cake, but my daughter isn't fond of it, so i have to go with all buttercream. i just don't want the drapes to fall off during the celebration. icon_confused.gif

6 replies
sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 7

I attach mine with toothpicks and use other decoration like flowers or something to hide it. I've never draped a fondant cake, but I can't imagine it being much different that what you would normally do.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 7

toothpicks...never thought of that. icon_confused.gif just hope if remember to take them out when i serve the cake. icon_surprised.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 7

i also wondered if that was possible,i just assumed the fondant would be too heavy and fall off and pull the buttercream with it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 7

I do it all the time with no problems.
I dont use toothpicks just some buttercream. But you have to make sure is not soft buttercream. I use crusting buttercream
Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 7

Yep...do it all the time. Only use buttercream to hold it.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7

I've done it with toothpicks. I like the security it gave me. It probably would have held just fine with only the bc, but I wasn't completely confident so I used toothpicks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%