How Would I Make Golf Clubs?

Decorating By Frecklepuss Updated 18 May 2009 , 3:04am by fosterscreations

Frecklepuss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklepuss Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 3d golf bag for my dad for his birthday. I think I have the bag part of the cake figured out in my head but I am not sure about the clubs.

Would I make the handle using a dowel covered in fondant and use fondant or gumpaste or cake covered in fondant for the actual club? I am just not sure which would stay together and on the handle. I was then going to paint the club silver.

Any ideas would be most welcome! Thank you icon_smile.gif

6 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

I strongly suggest using modeling chocolate (chocolate melted and corn syrup added to it). It holds it shape much better than fondant and gumpaste might be ok but they wont be edible (that is they wont eat it unless they want to break their teeth!) But use a dowel you can cover that in chocolate as well. The key is after molding it, to stick it in the fridge to firm up. But I think you will end up with a better product in the long run!
Cant wait to see the pics!! icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 7

Maybe Rice Krispie shaped?

Frecklepuss Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much for both of your ideas.. they both sound great and make perfect sense! icon_smile.gif My dad loves chocolate so I think I will go with the modeling chocolate. I guess I can probably find recipes here. Will it accept the silver paint?

Thank you again icon_smile.gif

Frecklepuss Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

thank you icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

Yes, I made a baby doll cake and was worried about the flesh color and I had no problem with it. Just make it thicker consistancy then you would gumpaste or fondant. So it will be more like regular acrylic paint consistancy. And I believe Mike McCarey uses airbrush on his also and we've all seen how his stuff turns out!

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 7

I used fondant for mine but would use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste if i did them again. I used lollypop sticks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%