Tea Cakes?

Decorating By mellee Updated 18 May 2009 , 4:54pm by mellee

mellee Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 12

OK. I just ate the most fabulous little cake I've ever ate in my life. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I was hungry. Maybe because the coffee was piping hot and good and I was cold from walking out in the rain. Maybe because the company I was with was so handsome. I don't know why, but I would sure like to reproduce what I ate.

It was a very modest, unassuming individual little cake about four inches or so around and about an inch or so tall. It was white cake with a hint of orange flavor and a glaze coating also with a hint of orange flavor. That's it. That's all it freakin was. No filling. No frosting. No drizzled chocolate. No whipped cream. No fondant. No decorations. AND IT WAS FABULOUS!! The cake was super duper moist and flavorful, the moistest cake I've EVER had. The glaze was ever so sweet and delicious, unbelievably tempting. I ate every bit with relish!

I left the little coffee shop, which was a 45-minute drive from my house, in 7th heaven and stunned and not thinking clearly. I can't remember the name of the shop, so I can't call them and beg for the recipe. They're too far away to drive to right now or for the next week or so, and I'm not sure I could find them anyhow since I wasn't the driver on today's outing and I wasn't really paying attention to directions.

As soon as I got home alone I got on the internet to see if I could find a recipe for this cake. It was called a "tea cake." I searched and searched. There are ZILLIONS of recipes for tea cakes, all of the them different and NONE of them sounding close to what I ate today. I found muffin-like things on the web and petit fours and cookie-like things and you name it--YOU NAME IT. EXCEPT for the tea cake I ate today.

Crap. I'd give my right arm for that recipe. Has ANYONE out there heard of a modest, unassuming little cake like I described? Please? Can you show me how to bake it? PLEASE???? Where do I buy special little pans like that? Geez, it was awesome! If I ever get back there, I'm buying 10 of them. They were only $3 a piece. Delicious!

11 replies
all4cake Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know of any recipe to share but this sure was an enthralling tale of romance...lost love...the lovelorn...

mellee Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 12

Ahhhhh! I suppose so, all4cake! icon_smile.gif But I don't know what I want more at this point: the man or the cake. LOL! I'm leaning toward the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

I did find little pans online, but I don't know if they'll do. I'm just hoping this little cake sounds familiar to someone out there! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 12

I was referring to the cake...it was love at first site...then, it disappeared leaving me wondering, "will I ever see it again?"...like a childhood love moving away...leaving in their place the sweet memories of ...hmmmmm...Seasons past.

mellee Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:07am
post #5 of 12

Oh. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! You made my night all4cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssseee someone, help a gal out with this cake, won't you pretty please??? Someone has GOT to have information on this! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 12

was the texture like a bundt? a pound? an angel food?

mellee Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:34am
post #9 of 12

All4cake, I am not that knowledgeable about cakes. The texture was definitely not angel food, and pound sounds a bit heavy. It was exceptionally moist and a bit heavier than a mix cake. I wondered if it might be a doctored mix, but I couldn't taste any mix flavor. (I usually use mixes or doctored mixes.) I'll tell you ONE thing. If that was from scratch, it changes completely the way I look at scratch and mix recipes. I've baked scratch but just can't get it that moist. This was to die for, and if I ever get the recipe, it'll be what I use from now on and forever.

Thank you SO MUCH for attaching that recipe. I looked at and it looks scrumptious! I think I'll try it minus the zest because there was no zest in the cake or glaze that I ate. Maybe I'll use an orange extract or oil? Hmmmm....

Fosterscreations: THANK YOU. Wow. I looked at ALL of those recipes, and they each look fabulous. The second one has lots of links at the bottom for even MORE orange cakes. I'll have more orange cakes than I know what to do with! icon_smile.gif

Gals, it looks like I've got a LOT of baking and experimenting to do. I never knew how much I would love such a simple little cake. I may never even eat a "frosted" cake again. Wow! icon_smile.gif

kathyx1 Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:56am
post #10 of 12

Maybe it was a friand? I've just discovered these and they are the most delightful little cakes I've ever eaten. They're made with almond meal and egg whites (along with other ingredients but they're what makes them so moist and light). There's heaps of recipes for them on line but here's alink for an orange friand. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/3311/orange+almond+friands+with+orange+syrup

Evoir Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 12

I think its a friand too!

And I just noticed the previous poster is an Aussie too, so GMTA icon_smile.gif

I LOVE making friands, they are dead easy and simply sublime little cakes that you can make with various add-in. I love raspberry and white chocolate, or orange-poppyseed, or simple lemon.

You are right, OP, there is nothing like them.

We even have special pans here to make them in!

mellee Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 12

I don't think it was a friand. But, OMG! Those look fabulous! I can see the 25 lbs I lost may be paying a visit soon. LOL! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%