Cake Decorating Classes? Have You Conducted Any?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 28 May 2009 , 10:13pm by terrylee

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 8

I've been thinking about giving lessons to groups of children and then begin adding adults (got to get my nerves up). Can you share your experiences with this type of venture? Stories, positives, negatives, do's and don'ts. Is it worth the effort? How do you charge and how long do the lessons go on, etc. I'll take anything ya got on this one! icon_smile.gif Let me have it sisters!

7 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think it's worth it for children at all because they are not going to invest in supplies so you'll have to have enough to provide them. Plus, kids are hard to keep a handle on.

If anything, I'd prefer doing it with adults who are willing to learn and will invest in the supplies, take them home and clean up thier own stuff.

Frankly, I don't think I would want to do it in my home. Too much interruption to the family. Too much clean up!

You might look into your local craft store and see if they offer classes and need an instructor.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 8

I have been teach cake decorating in our local 4-H club for about 7 years....the kids range from 8 - 18. Girls and boys. They are a easy to work with and are quick learners. I am amazed at the things they do... of course there are some that are better than others but they all enjoy the classes and get a small cake to take home.

I started with them having their own equipment......but it would get mixed up, lost and not cleaned properly. I take a sunday and have 3 or 4 classes of 3 or 4 kids. This is what works for me and the groups. I have enough stuff here and use the disposable bags. I wash and clean everything when we are done. It's a full day but well worth it when fair time come and they enter their cakes people are just amazed at what these kids have done.

I will bake 6" rounds for each kid, have the icing ready and all the equipment and off they go....each class is different and a bit more advanced. the older ones are doing fondant cakes, flowers, figures and tiered cakes.

I have helped a few mom's and friend with cakes too.....

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:56am
post #4 of 8

I just worked with our local college and the school system's gifted/talented teacher to teach two Saturday classes to kids. I had 6 kids. One week we piped buttercream. They were supplied with tips, disposable bags, iced cakes and buttercream. I also had plenty of extra tips and bags of my own, so that when we made the final cakes, we had plenty of colors and tips to use.

(I didn't have to pay for the supplies, but I did have to bake and ice the 6" cakes)

I taught them basic shells, drop flowers and writing. We practiced on plastic wrap before we attacked the cake. I would suggest that you use only white icing for the practicing; then you can scrape it off the plastic and use it again. I did have colors for the final cakes.

The second week we decorated with fondant. They made fondant roses, and each made an animal character and we used a garlic press to make some grass. We also cut circles to decorate the sides and made balls for the border.
One little boy (age 9) has already, with baking help from his mom, decorated a birthday cake for his cousin! He was really proud of his work.

I had a great time, and so did the kids. I hope I get to do it again.

terrylee Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 8

Poohsmomma - isn't it fun to work with the little ones...they are so open and have so much fun and pride in showing off their cakes to their families. I do the same as you as far as set up, bags, icing, tips ets....but they ice their own cakes. I just charge back a 3.00 fee for supplies.

And me too...they do cakes at home for their families and send pictures back to me.....WOW they do a great job and such a rewarding feeling.....

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8

O.k. say you are doing classes for a bunch of day campers. What would you have on your agenda for say a 6 week class and then for just a 4 hour session?

What would be the most cost effective basic recipes that I could use for cake and icing?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 8

I'd love to look at cakes kids made!! That would be so much fun.

terrylee Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 8

sweetideas......I have a ton of them made by our 4-H members.....they have made everything from doll cakes to 3 tiered wedding cakes. BC to fondant. they are amazing.....I only have short lessons usually about an hour, but it is time for them to ice and decorate a 6" round. we have done RI flowers, cup cake bouquets, fondant flowers...and fondant figures. I really haven't figured out the exact cost but about $3.00 per kids covers my materials. They day is my contribution to the club and kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%