Help! Coloring Buttercream

Decorating By SusanSayl Updated 18 May 2009 , 12:56am by LittleLinda

SusanSayl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanSayl Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

icon_sad.gif

I have not had a successful attempt at coloring buttercream. I have tried 2 different recipes of buttercream and several different colors. Every time I add color (I am using Wilton Icing Color) the texture of the buttercream shows, its like you can see the sugar particles. Its not very pretty. And the more color I add, the more appearant it becomes. So if I am trying to acheive a royal blue, it looks horrible. Am I doig something wrong? Or is there a specific buttercream recipe I should be using for coloring. PLEASE HELP!!

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 4

So does it look grainy? Can you fell the grains on your palate? Could be the sugar, could be salt. Taste it and close your eyes and concentrate on the taste and feel. HTH.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 4

I have problems when I am doing dark colors with buttercream separating. I believe it is because the amount of the icing color you are using and it thinning down the icing. I usually add a spoon of corn starch to the buttercream when I am doing dark colors and have found that that helps (for me atleast) with the separating issue.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 4

I also use Wilton, never have a problem. I don't use butter, all shortening. I have been using this recipe since 1982!

2 lb bag confectioners sugar
2 cups shortening
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%