How Early Can You Start Decorating Cake Orders For Saturday?

Decorating By traci Updated 18 May 2009 , 1:59pm by traci

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Friends!

I am trying to figure out how early I can start decorating my cake orders for Saturday. My normal routine is to start decorating on Thursday and placing cakes in the refrigerator that are for Saturday. I know I have never had any issues with doing this as long as it stays in the refrigerator.

I am wanting to start decorating on Wed. if possible. Does anyone decorate as early as Wed. for Saturday? Will the cake still taste fresh???

Any advice???

11 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 12

I have no idea, but I'd love to know as well! I'm baking today for a Wed cake for my lil bros school graduation (one graduates elementary & 1 graduates middle school!)

traci Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 12

I normally bake and freeze my cakes and then start decorating on Thursday. It would make my life so much easier if I could start earlier. I had 21 orders for last week and fely like I never left the kitchen!!!

Anyone????

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 12

Hi!! it really depends on your recipe - i use chocolate cake with choc bc, madeira with jam and bc, lemon madeira with lemon bc and curd, etc and these dont require refridgeration as they are nonperishable fillings.

the earliest i would start an actual cake for saturday would be tuesday. saying that id get all the gumpaste figures, etc done as early as possible, days or even a week or two before if possible.

i bake at the weekend and wrap and freeze my cakes and then start decorating on tuesday or wednesday for the weekend.

basicaly you would be fine so long as your fillings are not perishable out of the fridge

good luck!!

traci Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the reply. I am actually wanting to decorate on Wed. and still put in the refrigerator. It is too hot here where I am.

I just want to make sure that if I decorate on Wed. the cake will still taste fresh for Saturday. I will for sure still place it in the refrigerator.

Thanks for any advice!!!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 12

A cake is good for about six days ... but keep in mind you want the customer to be able to keep leftovers after their party. I would not do it before Thursday as a rule myself. I dedicate my Friday nights entirely to cake decorating each week. I rarely go to bed before 1:00 a.m. when I have three or more cakes to do.

traci Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #7 of 12

Well...that would totally work for me if I only did 3 or 4 ckes in a weekend. This past week I had 21 cakes. Most of which landed on Saturday. That is why I would like to start decorating on Wed. to help minimize the work load at the end of the week.

This coming week...I have 16 cakes...again most of them for Saturday.

Just wondering if anyone else starts decorating earlier than Thurs. or Friday.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

This past week I had 21 cakes.....This coming week...I have 16 cakes...again most of them for Saturday.

Holy cow! Where do you even put them all? Wow! Unbelievable!

traci Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #9 of 12

I have 4 refrigerators and they were all jam packed this weekend. I had several clients pick up on Friday which helped a lot. I will probably buy 1 more refrigerator this week since it was so miserable trying to rearrange shelves!

I should really learn to say "NO" sometimes! I feel like I live in my kitchen these days!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 12

you could up your prices a bit, i thought they seemed abit low for the tiered cake pricing.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 12

If it has non perishable frostings, I would say Thursday would be fine.

traci Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 12

I have actually increased my pricing over the last few months. However...I am located in a more suburban area so I made my pricing similar to other specialty bakeries in my same area. Unfortunately, the people around here can be very cheap!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%