Full Sheet Cake For 80 People???

Decorating By scoutmamma Updated 17 May 2009 , 11:16pm by scoutmamma

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, i got an order for a sheet cake today. A good friend of my DH's daughter is getting married and asked me to make a sheet cake for the picnic on the day after the wedding. Ok, i can handle that. But she tells me it is for 80 people... and wants one sheet cake. I dont think that will feed 80 people... even the Wilton cutting guide is for 50-55 people...

So what would or should i do? I have to tell her i dont think that will work... should i make 2 sheet cakes? She has a cake topper that is a bride and groom rubber duck, so she would like it to be one cake. Assistance with this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you all for all your help!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 5

Sheet cake pans come in a number of sizes. icon_smile.gif

An 12x18x4 will provide 72 party servings (1-1/2x2x4) and requires 14 cups of batter.

Here's a link to Wilton's 2" cake preparation charts which lists other sheet cake pan sizes:
(Also gives servings by size and batter requirements by pan.)

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

A full recipe of the WASC cake made with DH cake mixes will yield a tad over 14 cups of batter (just the amount for the 12x18x2).

Here's a thread that has links to both versions of the WASC cake (with/without oil) and popular CC recipes for crusting American b/c's:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Look forward to seeing pics of your cake! icon_smile.gif

HTH

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 5

You could take two of your sheet cakes and seam them together to make one large cake. You just have to make sure your cake board is heavy enough.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsywest

You could take two of your sheet cakes and seam them together to make one large cake. You just have to make sure your cake board is heavy enough.

Ditto to that ... and I add to make sure you also have a box big enough. Put two 11x15s together. Get some cardboard and triple it or quardruple it depending on the strength of the cardboard in the first place. Cover it with freezer paper.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 5

thank you so much for all your replies... every post helps!! i am actually going to use a board covered in wax paper then covered in the foil design for the event. they are doing a luau sort of theme, with rubber ducks and lots of flip flops. I will definately post pics. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%