Rolled Buttercream Q

Decorating By prue23 Updated 17 May 2009 , 8:54pm by PuffCake

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

I tried rolled buttercream for the first time a couple weeks ago and everyone loved the taste but I really did not like working with it . . . its very very soft and covering a cake with it was so hard. I used it to cover 4 small 8" round cakes and now one of my cousins wants a 12" round cake for her birthday covered with it and I need help. Can anyone who has worked with it please share any secrets on how to make it more sturdy and workable? I found that when I tried to pick it up to cover the cake it would break a lot. TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 5

I had the same trouble then someone on here shared that they used 2/3 rolled bc and 1/3 mmf. I tried it and its great. I will try to post the link for you! one sec........

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-221681-0.html .... this is everything about rbc

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-627373.html ..... this has the mixture on it

Hope this helps!

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 5

wow this is so great, exactly what I needed . . . thank u so much for the fast reply! icon_smile.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5

I usually just use RBC for cookies and accent pieces or maybe small cakes, but if I wanted to try to cover a 12 inch cake I would probably roll it out on a large silicone mat ( I have the Ateco one - think it's 24 x 36 inches) and turn the whole thing over onto the cake, then "peel" the silicone mat off. I think that's actually what the mat is designed for (it's a fondant work mat). You can't pick up a large piece of RBC like you can fondant. It's too fragile. You could also try mixing in a little more powdered sugar to help firm it up but not too much as it will get too dry and crack. Also, I use plenty of cornstarch when rolling it out. It's much easier to handle that way and it brushes off easily. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%