Buttercream Icing Versus The Weather

Decorating By kjaeger Updated 28 May 2009 , 12:57am by kjaeger

kjaeger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjaeger Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 4

My BC usually turns out just fine and can be smoothed with the paper towel technique without problems; but recently with rainy, humid, damp weather the BC wouldn't set up well. I was making a dimensional cake and had a problem with the cake wanting to fall apart with the icing on it. I'm not sure what the problem was....weather, the cake itself...not sure...just frustrated with the decorating process and how to make it work in this kind of weather. I did use dowels to support the cake...do I need a denser cake? Help please...thanks....cakes2go

3 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 4

I have found this to be a problem too! The moisture just keeps everything wet. I have tried a denser cake and icing that is a better drier than normal. It has worked a little bit better for me, but can't wait to hear from others.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 4

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, kjaeger. icon_smile.gif

Here's an everything you need to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

The above thread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American b/c's, fondant and WASC. The frosting recipes are recommended for hot/humid weather and the WASC (and flavor variations) are suitable for carving.

HTH

kjaeger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjaeger Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the tips. I'll keep trying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%