Prices For Cakes In South Florida

Business By SFcakelady Updated 18 May 2009 , 11:34pm by kandu001

SFcakelady Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering how to get info about pricing? I just started selling my cakes to friends and friends of friends. I don't advertize because I have a full time job, and this is just a side job for me. I live in South Florida near Boca Raton, which is a pretty wealthy area. I called the local custom cake places there, and they are charging $4 to $7 a serving plus $20 for delivery. $4 is their very, very, basic B.C cake. I have been charging $3 a serving for B.C $4 for Fondant and $3.50 for B.C with fondant accents. $5 for a topsy turvy or sculped cake. I charge $10 for a filling and deliver free within 10 miles. I feel that even though I don't have the experience some of these fancy places have, my cakes look very professional and taste great. I don't have any overhead, so do you think my prices are fare? Sometimes I feel I'm cahrging too much but then I think about all of the hours, and sometimes days that go into making one cake! Any thoughts?

3 replies
mommicakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 4

My first question for you would be, are you a licensed baker? I would call around and do some research and check with other bakeries in your area. Different places are different price ranges. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

KKC Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcakelady

I was wondering how to get info about pricing? I just started selling my cakes to friends and friends of friends. I don't advertize because I have a full time job, and this is just a side job for me. I live in South Florida near Boca Raton, which is a pretty wealthy area. I called the local custom cake places there, and they are charging $4 to $7 a serving plus $20 for delivery. $4 is their very, very, basic B.C cake. I have been charging $3 a serving for B.C $4 for Fondant and $3.50 for B.C with fondant accents. $5 for a topsy turvy or sculped cake. I charge $10 for a filling and deliver free within 10 miles. I feel that even though I don't have the experience some of these fancy places have, my cakes look very professional and taste great. I don't have any overhead, so do you think my prices are fare? Sometimes I feel I'm cahrging too much but then I think about all of the hours, and sometimes days that go into making one cake! Any thoughts?

Hi Jen,

Its good to know that you are in that area I have alot of people in Broward who are interested in my cakes but say that i'm located too far so I'd be more than willing to send over the business thumbs_up.gif
I am from Miami (Hialeah), FL and my prices start at $2.50-$3.00 for buttercream and $5.00 for fondant. My 3d cake prices start at $7.00 per serving. My delivery prices are based on the area for local (within 7-10 miles) my delivery fees start at $15.00..for the Broward area no further than Pembroke Pines my fees start at $25.00.

When i got started I called around to different bakeries and did alot of research. The cheapest bakery in my area starts at $1.50 per serving and her fondant prices are $2.00-$2.25 per serving.

kandu001 Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

I'm in Pembroke Pines and I'm not licensed (yet...) so I don't sell my cakes but those prices seem fair to me. I would also call around to get an idea of what the bakeries around here charge so you're not the lowest or the highest either. I would love to open up my own cake shop since Florida doesn't allow home baking (also..yet......), but I'm a teacher right now and I don't know about quitting that to start my own business. I'm too nervous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%