How To Handle Humidity And Icing?? Please Help!!

Decorating By turtlemom Updated 18 May 2009 , 9:10pm by poohsmomma

turtlemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 4

Well, I had a bad day yesterday. i had 2 cakes and 3 dozen cupcakes to deliver... the temp was not hot (for once) but it was so humid. My 2 cakes MELTED in the car on the way to deliver them (buttercream icing). My mmf butterflies were gummy and drooped over on the cupcakes. I was so upset. Luckily I was able to repair the cakes, not the mmf butterflies though. So I need to find out what I can do about this problem. I have had it happen before but not this bad. It has really made me want to say NO MORE summer cakes, only winter cakes!! Any help with this matter would be much appreciated. I feel like I will have to just decorate the cakes at the final destination, but that sometimes would not work, Please help me, I have more cakes to do next week!! It makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about it. All my hard work just melting like that takes a lot out of me!! Thanks Kelly

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

Try the Charlotte's BC in the Recipe Section here. And use well-dried gumpaste for the butterflies. And if you would rather use fondant, then buy the commercial stuff. Or at least add some tylose.

turtlemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks a lot. I will check that BC recipe out.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

Indydebi's buttercream is great, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%