Glace Rocks!

Baking By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 20 May 2009 , 9:37pm by shiney

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 5

I have like 3 cookie decorators that I follow. I follow their blogs, if they have one, and their pictures in the gallery. Each has given great advice on the forums. I thought I would never try glace. It sounded hard to work with. So I just want to say thank you to drakegore because she had some of the most beautiful cookies I have ever seen and she made them with glace. On various threads she has given detailed instructions on how to use glace.

I made my first glace cookies last night. They are okay. With practice, I am sure they will be better. The glace can be a little tricky if you aren't used to working with it, which I am not. But I am very excited about the possibilities! I put a little lemon flavoring in the glace and mmm mmm mmm!

I am so glad we have this message board! I would never have tried glace otherwise. I probably would never had tried cookies either had I not found this forum. Thanks to ALL the cookie pros who have helped me along the way via the forums! And thanks drakegore for inspiring me to try glace!!!! Glace rocks!

4 replies
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 5

what is glace?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:53am
post #3 of 5

I love how easy it is to work with glace icing. I can stiffen it with more powdered sugar, or thin it with corn syrup. I always have powdered sugar, milk, and corn syrup in the house, so I never have to worry about missing an ingredient. This is the recipe I use:

3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
3 Tablespoons skim milk (you can use water)
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
15 drops brite white food color, optional (I use Americolor)

By keeping the ratios the same, you can make as little or as much icing as you need. I don't usually add extracts to the icing, but many decorators do.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 5

Yup!! No offense to royal icing users, but I'm really in love with glace! It tastes so good!

Sure, you can't make some of the shapes you can with RI, but you can tell with some of the work ladies here are doing, it's great anyway!!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 5

I love both. I flood with Toba's glace, write and detail with Antonia's RI. I know, sounds complicated, but I just can't seem to get the glace stiff enough. However, seems lately even with white-white, I'm getting blotches in the Glace, that is annoying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%