What Is This Tool?

Decorating By artscallion Updated 19 May 2009 , 12:03am by Peridot

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 13

I was going through my equipment today, trying to add a little organization icon_rolleyes.gif when I came upon this pair of...somethings. They came with the Wilton Gum paste kit I bought a while ago (book, cutters, pads, ball tool, etc) but they were not on the list of items included in the kit. I had just put them aside, but now it's bugging me. Does anyone know what they heck they are??? They don't fit together or with anything else I can think of. They don't stand on their own, or support the book. icon_confused.gif

12 replies
Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 13

I got them in my kit also and could not figure out what they are used for...so I am equally curious =(

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 13

it is the support for the plastic covered board that comes in the kit. The 2 notches go together and it stands like an "X". I have them too....never used them. icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 13

They look like the would fit together in the little short notch perpendicular to the long axis. Then perhaps they would stand up on the short straight side to hold your book. I know you said it didn't hold the book, but that is what it looks like to me.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 13

They are "easel" legs that you prop your practice boards upon so that you can learn to pipe at an angle. Not sure why they would have been in a gumpaste kit. Mine did not come with one. However, I did get one in the kit that teaches different piping techniques.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 13

It's supposed to be used with the patterns that teach you how to pipe on the side of a cake - swiss dots, drop strings, rosebuds, etc.
Theresa icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

it is the support for the plastic covered board that comes in the kit. The 2 notches go together and it stands like an "X". I have them too....never used them. icon_smile.gif

But why would you want your plastic covered board to do anything but lay flat on your work surface?

The piping practice easel makes sense...maybe they included them in the wrong kit by mistake. (I don't have the piping kit it would/should/could have come in)

Thanks for the replies.

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 13

Makes lots of sense...lol....I have all the Wilton kits and come to think of it ....it's possible that it came in the kit with the piping practice board...thanks =)

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 13

This came with my gumpaste flower kit. I use it to hold the instruction book in front of me as I do the flowers. Snap the two center notches together. I leave it put together and just pull it out when Im doing the flowers.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 13

My practice board and legs came in the Course 1 kit. I think we used the practice board in the first 3 courses.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 13

It is the practice board stand. You can use it to practice piping items that go on the side of a cake. Examples would be string work and ruffles.

Unless I am mistake, the stand is packaged with the practice board in plastic. So instead of separating the two when they go in the gum paste kit they keep them together.

It is sort of like how you get all 4 lily flower nails in the C3 Kit when you only use one of them in class. It is cheaper to keep the set together in plastic than it is to have the one lily nail packaged separately just for the kit.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

But why would you want your plastic covered board to do anything but lay flat on your work surface?

HINT: Great use for the plastic covered boards (I have three.) When you are cutting out multiple petals (as in roses) or multiple flowers (as in daisies) the board is an awesome tool for keeping the gumpaste from drying out. Cut out what you need, place them under the plastic, work one flower at a time and have no worries that your next piece of gumpaste has started to dry out while you were finessing the last. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #13 of 13

It's used to hold the instruction book that came with the Wilton set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%