Photo Program For Editing The Background On Cake Pictures

Decorating By Rocketstarmom Updated 18 May 2009 , 3:53pm by Adria_NyxxTX

Rocketstarmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketstarmom Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 6

Would anyone have a photo program they can suggest that can be used to crop out the background on cake photos? I am looking for something that is quick and relatively easy. Thanks!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 6

I use Paint Shop Pro. It's easy to work with, but to take the background totally out takes forever. I've found that it's easier to just make sure I take a picture with nothing else in it (usually I put the cake board on a piece of fabric on my ottoman to take the picture) and then crop it to the size that I want.

Some people tack up a piece of fabric so it covers the wall and the counter, then set the cake on it, so they can get a background with no line in it.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 6

I also use Paint Shop Pro. It's one of the best graphics, photo editing programs you can get for less than a fortune. It does everything that Adobe PhotoShop (the $700-$1000 graphics industry standard) does, but in a more user friendly way at a fraction of the cost.

I also usually prop up a white canvas board or foam core board behind the cake to block out the background. Then I use Paint Shop to correct any saturation/contrast/brightness/sharpness/whatever issues so that it ends up accurately representing my cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

try PhotoFlitre --

free!

has a "magic wand" tool that makes taking out large sections of very similar areas most easy!

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

I use this to clean up my sketches and photos all the time!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Doug! I've never heard of that program.

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 6

I use photoimpression 4. It came with a little digital camera I bought and it has tons of stuff you can do to the pics, including the little magic wand to cut around the object you want and crop the rest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%