Help! How Do I Stack This Cake?

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 20 May 2009 , 10:56pm by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

i comitted to make this cake for the 30th. i'm attatching a rough sketch of what i want to do. it's suposed to be alice in wonderland. it's for a combined bday party so there will be 2 cakes so this one doesn't need to big very big. i was thinking 9,10,and 11 for the bottom layer, and the top is the cupcake pan which is about 6". but i don't really know what to do for the middle. i was thinking maybe 8,9,8 and carve them but i am so afraid it's gonna look like poo. i'm baking today and freezing and i just realized i wasn't sure what to do with it. i have never done a tea pot before or anything like this for that matter. i also have no idea how to cover the tea pot in fondant. i don't want it to fall over either. any ideas would bo sooo helpful!
LL

5 replies
catcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catcreations Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 6

Very cute idea!! I need to think on it I will let you know what I ponder.
Sizes sound right. I know there is a link to a tea pot I will try to find it.

yamber82 Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 6

bump

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Yamber,
I hope you don't mind, I'm thinking about stealing your sketch. I have an Alice Shower coming up and the idea is adorable. I plan on stacking the bottom 2 layers following the topsy turvy directions listed on CC under the articles section.
This means I will make the bottom layer hat first, crave out a section where I can place a plate and pillar in it so that the teapot will have somewhere somewhat level to sit. In my case I don't mind if the tea-pot sits straight because I won't be doing the cupcake. Since I don't need a ton of cake, I will probably make the teapot out of rice krispy treats so it's not so heavy.

I hope this helps a little bit. If you don't want to use the cut out approach I describe, there are a ton of threads that explain how to stack lopsided cakes and then run a dowel through the whole thing...I'm a big baby so I like the plate and pillar system.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your cake. I'll post a pick if we go this routeicon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 6

Also if you have the ball pan that would be an easy way to make the teapot out of cake. I just realized my msg may be too late. Hope it worked out for you.

yamber82 Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 6

not too late icon_smile.gif the cake is due the 30th. i looked at the ball pan but it is too small to put under the cupcake icon_sad.gif ...the cupcake is the most important part. i don't know any other way of stacking it than the cut out method. what are you refering to? i'm also doing a 3 tier drum cake for the same day and i was going to try and make my own stand like the topsey turvey one out of pvc pipe but i'm not sure that's gonna work out so i was considering swtiching to using some styrophome to make the layers a bit slanted, but i have never done that method before. the only thing i don't like about the cc whimsical cake method is that i will probably assemble the layers on site and that makes for more work because it can get messy. i have only done that method once actually, but my bottom tier kinda sunk a little bit when i got it there. i just use 4-5 dowles per tier. i am wondering if i should have made them just a tad longer?

i will let you know when i post the pic of the alice cake. i am going to start working on the details pretty soon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%