What A Pathetic Looking Bow! How Do You Make Yours?

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 24 May 2009 , 3:20pm by TamiAZ

korensmommy Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 25

I made my first fondant bow yesterday and it was a disaster!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1371022.html

Here are some problems I encountered:
*Made the loops too big and had to make smaller ones last minute. These didn't have enough time to dry and were droopy.
*Not enough loops
*Gaps in the bow

How do you make your fondant looped bow? Any hints/tips from the experts?

24 replies
Allidsk8 Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 25

I never have any iuck with them either so I can't give any advice, but here's a bump. icon_wink.gif

mareg Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 25

I have heard you can dry your loops on a PVC pipe. I did use it once and they all dried with the same size loop. There is a video on utube for making bows that is interesting.

bashini Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 25

Hi, have you seen this tutorial? Its not in english but the pictures explain it all. I use this to make my loopy bow.

http://www.tartacadabra.nl/howtos/strik.html

And I never use fondant alone. Always gumpaste or 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. icon_smile.gif

korensmommy Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 25

Thanks! I thought when no one replied at first I was beyond hope!

Loucinda Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 25

I make several sizes of the bows (some smaller so they can be "filler" bows - there are usually 3 sizes in mine)

I also use a broom stick (dedicated) for drying. I wrap saran wrap around it and just put the loops together on it (propped across 2 chairs) pinch the loops together so they are kind of flat - that way they will look nicer when glued together. (there are instructions on here for cool loopy bow dryers, I just haven't made one yet - broomstick works for now)

Let them dry at least overnight - and if you use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste it will dry alot harder and quicker. Just fondant doesn't always work out right.

I use melted chocolate as my glue - be careful though, if it is a hot day - it may let loose. (I have never had one do that, but I have heard of those who have)

I put mine together in a bowl - that helps support it while it dries. I also lay some of the loops on their sides - gives more movement to it.

Hope this helps you - if you need any help, just ask!

kakealicious Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 25

DianeLM makes some beautiful bows...take a look at her cake pics. She finally had so many requests she decided to do a tutorial. There's no pictures but she explains it really well. HTH Good Luch!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6371026.html#6371026

leah_s Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 25

I dry the loops over plastic dowels, but I wire each one. Then it's possible to place each loop where it looks best. Been doin' it that way for years.

Cakepro Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 25

I think your bow loops were too long to begin with. I use a 50/50 blend of fondant and gumpaste, and my bow loops are rock hard in about 8 hours.

I also do not dry them on a pipe or dowel, because I prefer more natural-looking bow loops that have variance in shape. They fit together better for me that way (see the bows in my pics). I just make the bow loops and dry them on their sides. I then use royal icing to adhere them in the center. Easy as pie! icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 25

I do like cakepro and dry them standing on their sides. As she says, this allows you to individually shape them so they look more natural. Plus you aren't restricted by your broomstick/PVC size as to how big and open you can make them. The one in my pics is made of all fondant and I let it dry for three full days before placing on the cake. I've since done them with a fondant/gum combo and it takes much less time.

lostincake Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 25

I usually get gaps too because I think I've made enough loops but alas I always come up short or they break or something lol. To fix that problem when I don't have time, I usually have some extra roses handy to fill in the gap. Had to do that twice now...my Red/Pink Floral Vine cake and the Blue Stripes & Blossoms cake.

I think practice makes perfect and definitely give yourself enough time. But rest assured, you are not the only one icon_smile.gif.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I think your bow loops were too long to begin with. I use a 50/50 blend of fondant and gumpaste, and my bow loops are rock hard in about 8 hours.

I also do not dry them on a pipe or dowel, because I prefer more natural-looking bow loops that have variance in shape. They fit together better for me that way (see the bows in my pics). I just make the bow loops and dry them on their sides. I then use royal icing to adhere them in the center. Easy as pie! icon_smile.gif

This is the way I do my bows. I have tried several ways and this seems to work the best.

cylstrial Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, have you seen this tutorial? Its not in english but the pictures explain it all. I use this to make my loopy bow.

http://www.tartacadabra.nl/howtos/strik.html

And I never use fondant alone. Always gumpaste or 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. icon_smile.gif

This is the tutorial that I use as well! I found it very helpful! thumbs_up.gif

sweet_teeth Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #14 of 25

I think your fondant may have been a bit thick as well. Also, if you are gluing them together ( i use white chocolate), you need to give them time to adhere. I see that many of yours are not glued straight up, and although they kept the 'bow loop shape', they are horizontal opposed to standing verticle.

Eme Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #15 of 25

I use a tutorial by cakeboss (can't get the link to post right) and hang my loops over an improvised dowel set-up. I use 1/2 fondant, 1/2 gumpaste and glue all together with chocolate. I turn some loops on their side to add some realism to the look of the bow. You could also dry some/all lying on their side to give a different look (not all the same "roundness"). Since I found this tutorial and have had such great luck with the process, I keep looking for reasons to use a bow!! icon_biggrin.gif
Member kelleyM is a cakeboss rep and I think I found this thru her link.... just wanted to give credit...

PattyT Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #16 of 25

One little thing to add to all the wonderful tips so far - something I just tried and finally got a bow I liked....lchris gave me some advice via PM and it worked.

I made loops in three different lengths - and lots of extras of each. I sat and looked at everyone's beautiful bows here on CC and counted loops to be sure icon_rolleyes.gif

I assembled the basic bow with melted chocolate same method as on the Cake Boss site mentioned above and putting some on their sides. When it was all done and dried, I could still see gaps all over. So I dry fitted some extra loops, dipped the ends in some melted chocolate and held them in place for a minute or two. This worked best with the smaller extra loops. I still had gaps so took the longer ones and snipped (big kitchen shears) the flat ends in little nips till they were shorter and fit into the gap. I left the bottom of the loop a bit longer, dipped it choc too and set it into place.

Success at last (I think).

CakePro, are the edges of the bow your GORGEOUS black & white cake little strings of fondant, or royal icing?

Thanks everyone...
LL

JCE62108 Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 25

I had trouble with drying mine on the side when I tried it. It was a disaster also. lol. The sides started to give away and the whole loop would fold in on itself and collapse. Some loops just kind of , well, I dont want to say "melted" but that is kind of what it looked like. It got thicker on the side it was resting on. Like the weight of the loop was pushing down on it. I had a horrible time with it, and I used a 50/50 mixture...but it was MMF...maybe that had something to do with it? I love the pvc idea. I will try that next time.

icer101 Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #18 of 25

i also do like cakepro.. make so many of differnt size loops. set on sides.. dries hard.. put together with royal icing or melted chocolate. when i make the tails of different sizes.. i lay them out on crinkled foil.. i also make a 3-4 inch circle in fondant/gumpaste .. let that dry.. then build the bow on that .. so easy to lift and put on cake. and recepient gets to keep in intact... hth

indydebi Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 25

I made my first fondant bow a few weeks ago and I laid the loops on their side to dry. I made the loops in the morning and assembled the bow in the afternoon, using melted chocolate as the glue ... used Satin Ice fondant, rolled kinda thin and it dried pretty quick. I made them of various sizes, but the one that I made for the top-center was too short, so it looked "stubby". Next time, I'll definitely make that one taller.

korensmommy Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #20 of 25

Thanks everyone for your advice! Here is my second attempt at a bow (and my 1st 3 tiered cake!)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1376248.html
I made more loops and made them smaller. I still need to make more loops to make it look fuller, but it's a good start.

sweetjan Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #21 of 25

PattyT, I'd say you have the hang of it!! thumbs_up.gif Your bow is beautiful.
And korensmommy, your bow and whole cake are lovely!!

PattyT Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #22 of 25

korensmommy, that IS a wonderful cake. I could hardly focus on your lovely bow because the buttercream was so beautifully done! Nice job.

korensmommy Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #23 of 25

Thanks for the compliment! It is a struggle to get smooth buttercream when it's 91% humidity outside!

korensmommy Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #24 of 25

PattyT - that is the most beautiful bow I've ever seen!
I'm going to try your method next time, thanks!
I also always see lots of gaps, I guess I need even more loops than I think,

TamiAZ Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #25 of 25

Here's some directions I posted awhile ago.. This is how I make my bows.

If I'm going to make a bow for a 6" cake I will cut my strips of gumpast 6" long so when I fold it over to make my loop it will be 3" long. When I make the loops for the next row I will cut the strips 5.5" long so they loops will be a 1/2" shorter, and so on. I think by making each row slightly shorter it gives the bow a nice shape. When I dry my loops I just put them on their sides on a piece of cardboard. I don't want them to be all the same shape.

As far as the width goes, that's all personal preference... I like my bows to have wide loops. I think they look more realistic that way.

I always put my bows together before they go on the cake... I use royal icing. For a bow that goes on a 6" cake I'll put it together on a 6" board to make sure it's going to fit. If I'm making a bow for an 8" cake I'll use an 8" board. I mess with the loops a lot when I'm putting my bows together...When I use the cake board I don't have to worry about messing up the cake. It also gives the bride a keepsake.

I also use gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mixture to make my bows..I tried using fondant once and it was too unstable. I prefer gumpaste because it dries nice and hard.

Just keep practicing until you get a technique you like for making bows... I love making them!!

Here's a picture of a couple of my bows... I put the loops at different angles instead of putting them all flat.. I believe this helps fill in some space. Try to use candy melts or royal icing that matches the color of your loops it will help hide the center.

I hope this helps!!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%