Ok Guess I Cant Use Tube Dough To Make Cookies!

Baking By mindy1204 Updated 26 May 2009 , 10:03pm by bethola

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #1 of 7

Got in my new cookie cutters today and didnt have all I needed to make the NFSC recipe so I just used tube sugar cookie dough. Well that didnt work, my cookies spread while baking and looked a mess. They were good though. Do any of you use the refrigerated dough?

6 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 7

I don't like the refrigerator dough at all. As you said, it spreads too much. And I think it has a nasty aftertaste. My kids used to ask for it because the cookies tasted like the school cafeteria's cookies! I've been a lifelong "from scratch" baker, and my kids liked the school cafeteria's cookies better!! I guess that's no different than me wanting bakery cakes instead of my mother's homemade goodies when I was a kid.
Where did you buy your cookie cutters?

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 7

Cookiecutter.com. I have to say I was very pleased with them. Shipping for 6 cookie cutters was $3.95 and I had them in 2 days. Doesnt get much better.

[/img]

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

I remember reading a tip somewhere (probably here!) that you can add flour to the purchased dough to keep it from spreading as much. I've never tried that...it seems like it would be a lot of work. Easier to just start from scratch.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 7

My latest hobby is cookies....I can't stop thinking about how many different things I can do! The problem, I don't bake. I have always used store bought dough....but never rolled it out and used cookie cutters. Well, last night was my first attempt (using the store bought). It took a few batches to get right, but I just kneaded in some flour and rolled it out on flour. What I noticed is that the thickness plays a MAJOR factor. I was doing them too thick and they would just spread to the point that you couldn't even tell what I was trying to make. So I made them thinner and put the pan (with the uncooked cookies) in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes before putting them in the oven. They came out great!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 7

if it spreads too much, couldnt u try the trick of baking the cookie, then cutting it again?
xx

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 7

I've added flour to get it to a better consistency AND I freeze the cookies before I bake them. Having said that....I'm only a Hobby Cookie Baker!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%