Gumpaste Sunflower...what Formers

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 19 May 2009 , 4:26pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 6

Okay so I want to make some gumpaste sunflowers...I am going to buy the cutter but what I really want to know is how all of you get the flowers to look so real? I mean some petals lay flat..some stick up...what formers do you use? Everytime I make a daisy I have this little cup I use to lay it in but when it dries it looks so stiff and fake and formed...Are there specific formers I should buy...where do I get them? you have any advice since I absolutely loved your sunflower cake and that is what I am talking about when I mean they look real... icon_biggrin.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
beachcakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #2 of 6

There might be other ways, but there are styrofoam flower formers that allow the petals to dry in a more natural shape.

Like these

JenniferMI Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 6

Flowers will take on different looks by the dusts you use, the method of making them, wired or not wired or the formers you use. I am happy to help you if you need it. I use the sunflower cutters and the multi-center mold for the middle.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Jen,

I made a few and set them on formers I ran out and bought...They look better than before will dust them once they dry.Thanks for all the advice!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Sasha_Sweetie Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 6

I don't use a bought former. I like to make a cup shape out of foil and put the flower in the middle. You can then manipulate the petals to any way you like. I use the PME all in one cutter/ veiner.

I use foil formers for most of my large flowers. Very cheap!! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Sasha_Sweet.....I will try that instead!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%