Meringue Powder

Decorating By TessaWood Updated 17 May 2009 , 12:27am by sweetcravings

TessaWood Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 7

Please help i see this in so many recipes. What is it and are there any substitutions?

6 replies
TessaWood Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

Oh and viva paper towel thats another one. What makes it so special and are there any substitutions? I tried wax paper. unless of course it must be well chilled before. Would be incredible to find a substitution my be fantastic to be able to some BC.

sweetcravings Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 7

I believe meringue powder is basically an egg substitute. If you want you can use egg whites in place of it.

Here's a good explaination of it i found online. HTH... http://www.ochef.com/725.htm

bellabiaggio Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

Meringue powder can be used as an egg white substitute. On the Wilton container that I have, it says 2 tsp of meringue powder + 2 Tbsp water= 1 egg white. Hope that helps.

sweetcravings Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 7

On the viva paper towel thing...it's just a superior paper towel for smoothing in my opinion. You will use alot less of it because it's super absorbant. I can use one paper towel for a whole cake most times. It also doesn't leave lint like some other paper towels do. The other nice thing is it is pattern free, so if you are looking for an ultra smooth cake it works great. Yes, you can use any type of paper towel but i haven't found one where i live that doesn't have a pattern. Every time i go stateside i make sure i stock up on viva. You can use wax paper but i find it is harder to work with. I've read people have used fabric lining too. i guess it's just a personal preference. All these things can be used but only on a crusting buttercream.

jammjenks Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 7

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main purpose of meringue powder in buttercream is to keep the colors from bleeding so much. I'm not really sure though...just what I was told once before. At any rate, I don't use it. You don't really need it in most buttercreams anyway.

Viva paper towels are just a plain white, no pattern, no print paper towel that is soft. It is made by the Kleenex company so it is softer than most other paper towels also.

HTH

sweetcravings Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

Jammjenks...meringue powder helps the buttercream crust. The more you add the harder the crust. At least that's what i've always thought. lol ;0) I've never heard of it keeping colors from bleeding but maybe i've just never heard that before. Interesting. I can't wait to see what others say.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%