Problem With Cookie Sticks-Ewwww!

Baking By bbmom Updated 20 May 2009 , 9:32pm by shiney

bbmom Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 9

I usually buy the bamboo skewers for 97cents for 100 at walmart or sometimes the dollar store. Anyway, last time I bought a few pkgs because I was using them pretty quick. I just finished the last open bag of them and I have 3 bouquets due next week so I was going through my supplies. I had 1 unopened bag-so I got it out and was organizing my supplies and saw that there was sawdust in the bottom of the bag and thought it was weird because I've never noticed it in any bags before. So I opened the package and shook all the dust out and was going to put the skewers back but I kept thinking it was so weird, so I looked at the skewers and a bunch of them are all riddled with tiny holes....BUG CHEWED!!!! I was so grossed out, I threw them away. I probably should have returned them because I'll have to go out and buy new anyway, but YUCK! Has anyone ever had this happen? I really like the skewers instead of the white lollipop sticks, because they are cheaper for one thing, but also longer and easier to cut to length.

8 replies
LesGateauxCheri Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 9

OMG that is gross! I have always used the lollipop sticks. I thought about the other ones but not now. lol icon_smile.gif

canyongal Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:47am
post #3 of 9

I just bought a package at Walmart -- the 100 for .97 two days ago -- I just checked -- no signs of bugs anywhere. I suppose such a thing can happen with any product. I'd just buy another package -- maybe from a different Walmart that might have a differnent batch.

verono Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 9

yyyeewwww !!

I'm also using lollipop stick.. I think they are prettier.. icon_wink.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 9

I've never used the skewers in cookies but attach them to the back of wrapped cookies. I've never seen this either but thanks for the heads up cuz now i'll look carefully before using.

cindy58 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:18am
post #6 of 9

That really is yucky -- but probably something similar to a recommendation we heard in regard to buying hand crafted wood items while on a cruise. They advised putting the wood item in the freezer for a period of time to kill off the worms! Apparently people had brought back items that were eventually chewed up by the little creatures. Wouldn't want to let those loose in the house.

Minstrelmiss Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 9

I love using skewers too...but, the W place is a dirty word in our house icon_razz.gif I would shop around. Good luck icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by cindy58

TThey advised putting the wood item in the freezer for a period of time to kill off the worms!

Super tiny wood worms? That is so gross. I'm squirming sitting here thinking about it!

shiney Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 9

So sorry to hear about that. Stick on the bag sounds like a good idea. I never like using the bamboo sticks anyway, they splinter so bad. Maybe stick to those white lollypop type sticks from Hobby Lobby and Michaels.
Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%