How Do I Color Fondant

Decorating By rfazio121 Updated 17 May 2009 , 3:51am by Cakepro

rfazio121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfazio121 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a cake for my daughters birthday. The cake will be done in an white chocolate Gnache and have fondant accents. I have never used fondant before. At my local supply store fondant only comes in white or primary colors. How can I color large pieces of it? Also what can I use to "hand paint" designs onto both the gnache and fondant. Please help, this cake is a really big deal and I don't want to mess it up.

Sincerely,

Renee

2 replies
sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 3

Dabbing color onto the white fondant with a toothpick or skewer then kneading, kneading and kneading some more is the only way I know to make your own color from ready-made white fondant. Wilton does sell some primary colors in their fondant, so that's also an option. AS far as the painting, I'll defer to someone else for that answer!
hth

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #3 of 3

LOL @ 'gnache.'

It's ganache - pronounced gah-nosh or guh-nosh. If you do a search on this site for topics relating to ganache, you'll need to know how to spell it. icon_smile.gif

I doubt you will be able to paint on ganache, but you can successfully paint on fondant using icing colors thinned with vodka. You can always do a test run on painting ganache before you get close to the due date of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%