Question About Antonia74 Icing

Baking By sweetjane3 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm by TracyLH

sweetjane3 Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 17

I just decorated some nfsc cookies for my daughters school carnival. I used the Antonia74 icing for the first time and was a little disapointed in the flavor. I added some lemon flavoring to help but still not overly excited about the taste. I usually make icing with egg whites and I was wondering if it was the meringue powder I used. It was wilton brand. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the flavor? I liked the way the cookies looked and got several complements however I was a little embarassed about the taste. I think I'll try the Tobas glaze next time. Does the glaze have a better taste? Is it less crunchy ?

16 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 17

I use the CK meringue and it smells really nice.I also add a bit of lorann Cotton Candy flavoring to my cookie icings...

sicookie Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 17

I've used the Wilton meringue powder as well and didn't like it. It gave the icing a funny flavor. I used Just Whites powdered egg whites or the ones you find in the health food aisle in the supermarket. I believe the brand is Hodgkins. It comes in a cellophane bag and it's with the all the flaxseed, whole wheat flower, etc.

sweetjane3 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 17

Ok, Thank you for your suggestions. I was thinking that since the wilton meringe powder smelled like crap that it had to taste bad too. I'll have to try the brands that have been suggested. The cotton candy flavoring sounds yummy! It would have been perfect because cotton candy was one of the cookie shapes that I decorated. Thanks again!

Lcubed82 Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #5 of 17

For the dried egg whites, do you measure the same as for meringue powder?

JaimeAnn Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 17

I am curious about substituting powdered egg whites for meringue powder also. Does anyone know if it is used in the same proportions?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 17

I hate Wilton MP too. Blech.

I have been wanting to try the liquid egg whites, the pasteurized kind by the Egg beaters brand, but I didn't know how much to use.

Also I use more vanilla and someone had mentioned to use lemon juice. It doesn't add to the flavor it just cuts down on that wierd taste that the RI has. I used fresh squeezed and strained it. I think I used about 4 Tbsp of lemon juice and about 3 tsp of vanilla.

cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 17

I know that Antonia herself answered a question like this once. She said that she uses McCall's Meringue powder and that is has the vanilla mixed in. And of course Wilton doesn't have a flavor mixed in. (She figured it out because someone was talking about the flavor or her RI in a thread).

Personally, I love the taste of her RI (with the Wilton MP). I love it with my NFSC recipe! When the two are put together...they are just delicious. (I don't like it alone and it has to dry on the cookies...but I love it). I actually put a teaspoon of vanilla in the mixture this last time and I didn't like it with the vanilla. Everyone else loved it and my husband said he knew that I did something different and he really liked it.

Anyway, that's what I know...for what it's worth!

SpringFlour Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 17

I recently used Antonia's recipe on cookies and also didn't like the flavor. I have always used Toba's Glace and LOVE it...the flavor, that it. The workability of Antoina's can't be beat.

I was tasting the Antonia icing as I made it, and added more and more flavorings (vanilla and almond), but it still didn't have a great flavor. I've been trying to figure out how to make it tastier because I love how easy it is to use.

Toba's glace is very yummy, but you have to get the consistency just right or it just doesn't perform well. It dries well. I don't know that I'd call it "crunchy," but it is firm enough to stack the cookies.

All that to say, sorry I can't help! icon_lol.gif But I can relate!

shiney Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I use the CK meringue and it smells really nice.I also add a bit of lorann Cotton Candy flavoring to my cookie icings...

Cotton Candy?? What a fantastic idea! I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I bet kids (and adults) love that! Thanks for that tip

michellesArt Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 17

i have to say that i've been a fan of antonia's RI since i found it and haven't use anything else since-then my batches didn't seem to be forming/thickening like they were and i was getting very peeved. so i bought some wilton's MP and holy cow!! it was even better than the first time! i agree that there's a bit of a tang on it's own but when it's on a cookie yumm!! (i do like the idea of cotton candy-would be great for the school funfair!!)

sarah0418 Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:07am
post #12 of 17

I have been playing around with flavoring of Antonia's icing. I LOVE the workability of it. So, I started adding a little vanilla ( I prefer the real vanilla extract unless I need bright white) and butter flavoring. It tastes awesome with these two. I usually add 1/2 - 3/4 tsp of each and it tastes SO good.

shiney Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 17

Sarah, I'll have to try butter extract, hadn't thought of that. I have to say, when I first started cookies, I used a RI receipe I found on the net or somewhere, and never really liked the taste, then discovered Toba glace after joining CC, and everyone loved the taste of toba glace, then TracyLH raved about antonia's RI so much that I tried it and I really like it. It's so much better than what I was using. I still like the combo of TG and Antonia's, that works for me.

blubakers Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #14 of 17

does anyone know the answer to the question asked earlier in the thread about egg whites v meringue powder? thanks.

ALVARGA Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #15 of 17

I use dried egg whites all time. The recipe that I use is in the book "Cookie Craft" byPeterson and Fryer. It has recipes for dried egg whites, regular egg whites, and meringue powder in both piping consistency and flooding consistency. Her cut out cookie recipe is the best and she has a chocolate recipe that is awesome too. It is the cookie recipe bible that I live by. Hope this helps.

blubakers Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #16 of 17

thanks! that answers my question. i thought meringue powder and powdered eggs whites were the same.

TracyLH Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #17 of 17

I have been using Antonia74's RI exclusively and now flavor it with some new all-natural flavorings I got from Spices, Etc - Coconut, Lime, Orange, Lemon and Cherry. I got great reviews on them! PM me if you want a first order discount code. I had posted one and it got deleted, but have another generic 'not specific to CC'ers' that I can send out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%