Recommendations For Good Cake Decorating Courses??

Decorating By Tickled_Pink Updated 17 May 2009 , 4:10pm by AbouttheCake

Tickled_Pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tickled_Pink Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 16

Can anyone recommend any professional cake decorating courses in either New York City or California? Ive had a few basic classes but want to advance my skills without enrolling in a full-time pastry school. I still have to work!

Im basically looking for one, two, or three week courses. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

15 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 16

If you go to your local michael's or joann's craft store, they offer cake decorating classes by wilton. It offers a good introduction to basic cake decorating. They are a couple weeks generally one da a week. There are several courses I, II and III. There may be one more, but I can't remember. The course is generally $35-40 plus your supplies.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 16

The Michael's courses were really helpful. I took all of them. If you looking for something a little more advanced, check out the web. There are lots of things in NYC that don't cost an arm and a let.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 16

I agree with cricket0616...the Wilton Courses are a good place to start. AC Moore also offers the classes, as well. In addition to the Wilton I, II, and III, there is a Fondant and Gumpaste Class that teaches beginners all the basics of decorating and and creating some flowers with Fondant and Gumpaste. I thought the classes were good and I learned a lot.

Hope this helps and ....Happy Decorating icon_smile.gif

Tickled_Pink Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 16

thanks guys- but Ive already done a basic Wilton-style class.. Im looking for something a little more advanced yet not a full time pastry course. Ive been searching the web and there are some classes posted, but I was curious if anyone knew of one in particular that they can recommend.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 16

I don't know where most of the top decorators are located, but I have a suggestion. The California Cake Club sponsors Cake Camp each year in Vegas. It is in September and they have an unbelievable lineup of classes. You can go to the website ... http://www.cakecamp.com/ ... Registration/Members Only/Registration Page. You may have to enter some data to get to the Members Only page. Once you are on the registration page, just scroll through the listed classes. Each class link will bring up a box that explains what will be taught in that class PLUS a link that tells about each instructor. See who is teaching things that you are interested in. Go to their individual websites to get information on their classes OR register for Cake Camp and get a lot of instruction in 2 1/2 days.

I'm hoping to go this year. If I get there, I am going to take gumpaste classes from Nicholas Lodge and Collette Peters. I have to choose classes that don't have a long supply list and that I will be able to fly home with the finished products. Plus Nicholas Lodge is an amazing teacher. icon_smile.gif

I would also recommend that you search for cake clubs in the areas that you are interested in. Many of the larger clubs bring in instructors from all over the world to teach classes. For example, the Austin (TX) club is having Lorraine McKay from Scotland in August and I will have the opportunity to learn from her for a very reaonable cost.

There are many outstanding instructors who are on CC and teach classes. I know that Sharon Zambito (Sugar Ed Producuctions) and Jennifer Dontz (jenniferdontz.com) are just a couple who have DVD's available on their websites and also teach classes. Michele Foster (thesugarfix.com) also has a great DVD. Nicholas Lodge has a whole series of DVD's as well. These are the ones that I personally own and feel comfortable recommending to you.

HTH.

mbt4955 Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled_Pink

Ive been searching the web and there are some classes posted, but I was curious if anyone knew of one in particular that they can recommend.

If you want to tell us what classes you are considering, I'll bet there are folks on here who can tell you whether they are good or not. If the classes are good, I'm sure people would be happy to talk about them. If they feel that the classes aren't necessarily worth the time and/or expense, you might ask them to PM you rather than talk about it in a public forum.

Just a thought ... icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to add ...... Okay ... I just looked at your photos and you definitely do not need the Wilton classes. icon_biggrin.gif

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 16

i agree with previous post...i learned so much from Jennifer Dontz's and Sharon Zambito's videos. they are clear, concise and have lots of extra tips. They are fantastic teachers and you can play the dvds over and over if you miss anyting. Highly recommend!!

Tickled_Pink Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks VERY much Martha! I really appreciate all the info, websites and the compliments. I will look into that Las Vegas seminar you suggested. Sounds VERY interesting.

I live in NYC and have been looking into a few week long classes at the Institute of Culinary Ed, and the French Culinary Institute.... which Im sure are very good. But Id also be interested in a smaller forum. I will check to see if NY has a Cake Club... all good suggestions.

Much appreciated!

Noelle

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 16

In NYC, you can try sugarroom.com. They are located in Queens. They have basic classes as well as advanced level classes. Also, pattycakes.com. Coincidentally also in Queens. They offer basic and advanced classes too. Good luck. Isn't cake stuff fun?

Tickled_Pink Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 16

Im just reading all the great classes offered in the Cake Camp! Looks pretty great! I had no idea something like that existed. Thanks so much.

mbt4955 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

Thanks VERY much Martha! I really appreciate all the info, websites and the compliments. I will look into that Las Vegas seminar you suggested. Sounds VERY interesting.
Noelle

Let me know if you decide to go to Vegas. If I get to go, we'll have to meet! You might also try posting the same question in a different forum - maybe Cake Decorating or How Do I? I'm never quite sure where to post a particular question so that the people who need to see it will. icon_biggrin.gif

Tickled_Pink Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 16

Yes, I will let you know if I end up going. Im so engrossed in reading all the different classes. I cant believe the high caliber of teachers- Toba Garrett, Collette Peters, Marina Sousa! Amazing! Im drooling! Looks like a very cool event. Thanks for the tip off!

mbt4955 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Yes, I will let you know if I end up going. Im so engrossed in reading all the different classes. I cant believe the high caliber of teachers- Toba Garrett, Collette Peters, Marina Sousa! Amazing! Im drooling! Looks like a very cool event. Thanks for the tip off!

Yep!! The hardest part is trying to decide which classes to take. I have a feeling this will becom an annual event for me. I just wish it lasted longer!

Tickled_Pink Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #15 of 16

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 16

Cake Camp is awesome! I'm one of the instructors and I'm trying to figure out if I'll have time to take classes in between mine! It is one of the best run shows that I've ever been to. Minimal problems that were very quickly resolved.

Although it's not in NY or CA, check out another show, http://www.theartofthecake.com It's a little closer to you and we have awesome teachers coming in for ours too. It's in January, which is typically a slower month for decorators and bakeries.

You might also want to check out the NY ICES groups. There are two of them. They often have great demonstrators and some hands on stuff too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%