Ganash

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 16 May 2009 , 9:39pm by Redlotusninjagrl

joaaaann Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a reason to NOT use milk chocolate morsels rather than semi sweet?..Also, Is it a bad idea to try to lay fondant over a ganache poured cake?

6 replies
Brownie1954 Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 7

Hi...you can use milk, semi-sweet, white...whatever you would like to make a ganache. As far as covering a cake with fondant, after pouring a ganache on it? As long as I have been making chocolates, and covering cakes with ganache, I have never done that. This is only my guess, so I hope someone else can tell me if I am correct. I would think that the ganche would soften the fondant up...perhaps giving you a problem with fondant sliding out of place? Bubbling up? I sure would like to know from someone else if it can be done.....

joaaaann Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the help on that 1st part of my question. As far as the ganache...it 'seems' like if it's cooled on the cake and has sat for awhile then it may be safe to add the fondant. Actually in hind site, I probably should have done the white chocolate as a work around. I just don't think it would have that same great cocoa taste tho that I get with my milk chocolate chips

Brownie1954 Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 7

I believe you may be right about the ganache. I let mine sit until it's really firm (covered in the fridge) and it sets hard enough that I can spoon it into balls for making truffles. Silly me, of course it's going to get firmer as it sits, so it should do ok with the fondant I would think. I would think too then that the ganache would act like a crumb coating does, and help the fondant stick....I will have to make a cake just for the heck of it, and see how it does using both.

joaaaann Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7

Well if you do...I would love for you to let me know how it goes. Matter of fact..I might just try that myself this evening with my 'left overs'. I'm too scared to experiment with the actual cake for now cuz I have no time for corrections icon_wink.gif The ganache I'm using now is going to be chilled, whipped and used as a filling then with choco buttercream iced and covered in white fondant...made up my mind*

Brownie1954 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 7

Ok....I will make a cake tomorrow. It will be for the fam, so it won't matter if it messes up. I will let you know how it turns out, and will try to get a picture of it too, to post on here for you to see.
The cake you're going to do sounds really good. When is it due? I think I will make a chocolate cake, use a PB BC for the filling, cover it with a semi-sweet ganache, and covered that in white fondant.
BTW....if you have never made PB BC, all you have to do is make your BC recipe, and add a cup to a cup and a half of JIF PB. I will say it spreads really easy, smooths out easy. Ever since I introduced it, it has become my most popular BC.
I will let you know tomorrow afternoon the cake goes! Brownie

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 7

For the second part of the question, yes you can put fondant over ganache. In fact a lot of people prefer that as it is stiffer than buttercream so it is easier to get crisp edges. Fondant in general tends to round the corners. But I believe you want to put the ganache covered cake in the fridge so that the chocolate can set up pretty firm before applying the fondant. I don't know about white chocolate. I think that is softer than traditional chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%