Zebra Stripes

Decorating By ktbug Updated 18 May 2009 , 3:09am by LovesPekes

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 10

I am interested in making a cake with zebra stripes but I don't want to ice the whole cake in fondant. I was wondering if I could ice the cake in buttercream icing and then do the stripes in fondant? Would they stay on the cake? Just wondering what your thoughts are. If you have any suggestions PLEASE let me know! Thanks!!

9 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 10

I have a BRATZ cake in my gallery that was iced in buttercream. I then applied purple zebra stripes and they adhered and stayed beautifully. Go for it!

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 10

Did you just cut out the stripes free handed? Did you use anything special to make them stay on the buttercream? Thanks for your help!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 10

Yes. I cut stripes free handed. However, I do it by rolling out the fondant thin and then using a pizza cutter to make the cuts. If the buttercream is still fresh, then you do not need anything at all to make the stripes adhere. If it has crusted, you might want to apply a very fine stroke of water to the back of the stripe before applying it to the buttercream. That way, you won't crack the crust by applying too much pressure in order to make it stick otherwise.

Hope that helps!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 10

Just be careful if you attach using water. I know from experience if you use too much, the black (or other color) may bleed onto your bc. Just use a small amt of H20.
Here's a video on how to cut the stripes & apply them:
http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page49.htm

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 10

I just did this a few weeks ago. I do fondant decorations on butter cream cakes all the time. I used vanilla extract to 'glue' them on.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 10

I have done this many times. I let my buttercream crust and then smooth with viva paper towel. Then I roll out my fondant and cut the stripes with a pizza cutter and then put them on the cake. As long as the back side of the fondant is still moist they adhere really nicely.

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the info, I am going to make a zebra cake next week and was wondering exactly how to cut the stripes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 10

I started over thinking cutting them when I did it. I even went as far as printing out a couple of zebra print graphics to use. But then I was like, nah we can do this the easy way. I rolled out my fondant than used a pastry wheel and just cut the strips moving the pastry wheel as I did to give them a little added shape.

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #10 of 10

Like those that have posted above, I use fondant accents with buttercream on all my cakes. When I made my daughter's birthday cake with zebra stripes, I rolled out the black fondant and then randomly cut "stripes" with an X-acto knife so that they were irregular. I very sparingly moistened the backs of the stripes with water and then laid them on a papertowel to absorb any excess water. Black is such a hard color to work with since it bleeds so easily. Nice thing about random zebra stripes is that you can't really mess it up icon_biggrin.gif

Kim C.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%