1/2 Inch Gap With Sps

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 16 May 2009 , 6:14pm by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 8

I have about 1/2 inch gap between the cake and the plate. Last time I filled it with buttercream and it was fine. I delivered 3 tiers and it did not move. I have a 4 tier to deliver but am scared to put the 4th one on top because of the gap. Think it will be ok to put the 4th one on??

7 replies
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 8

Are you for certain using SPS? I can't for the life of me see how there would be any gap anywhere. Unless you're not cutting the legs to the height of the cake they're going into.

If you have the 4" SPS legs, but your cake is only 3 3/4" tall (filled and iced). You place the plate (with the little collars removed) on top of your cake and press gently to mark where the legs will go. Then insert a test leg all the way through, marking it to see how tall it needs to be. Cut that leg to size, then the other three to that same size as well, always using the first leg as your guide. Stick the 4 legs into the SPS plate, then push down into the cake, using your markings as a guide. You should have no space between the cake and the SPS plate.

Leahs here on CC is the SPS (unofficial) spokeswoman. Look her up and you can probably get even more info that may help. Best of luck!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 8

are your legs too long? I think you might need to trim the legs to make them the height of the cake and then stack them. IDK, have you tried to PM leahs

tarheelgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 8

I think the legs were too long but its too late now! I have assembled it except for the 4th tier. I measured and my cakes were 4 inches but now they don't fit. Guess they were NOT 4 inches after all. =( I have had the worst time!!! My AC went out last night right in the middle of decorating. Luckily a friend came out so I finally finished at 2 this morning!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 8

I should think if it is not stacked yet, your could remove the legs and trim them and avoid the space. How are you going to cover the space?

tarheelgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 8

I filled the space with a dam of buttercream then smoothed out. I piped my border to hide it. The last one made it up a steep hill like that so hopefully this will do fine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 8

Your cake settled it sounds like. But everyone's correct, there should not be a 1/2" gap. However, let me point out, that even with the gap you transported your cake securely. (Just for the non-SPSers. Believe, people!)

You might want to make your cakes a wee bit taller to account for some settling.

tarheelgirl Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 8

So even with the gap the cake is still pretty secure right? I know the last one did ok but was only 3 tier. I am skeptical about putting the 4th one on until setting up at the venue. I guess I'm just chicken.. icon_wink.gif I absolutely LOVE the security of the SPS and will never go back. I am a believer for sure!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%