4 Tier-Tilted Wedding Cake

Decorating By julitre1 Updated 25 May 2009 , 10:13pm by julitre1

julitre1 Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 20

I'm doing a wedding cake this week, delivery is a week from today, and it is a tilted 4-tier cake. I looked on the whimsical tilted cake tutorial, but I didn't really see an answer to my question, so I hope that you can help. How do I get the cake tilted without it falling over? lol, sounds funny to me. Anyways, I understand how to if the tiers are stacked, but these aren't, you can see the space between the tiers. I'm trying to get an early start so any and I mean ANY help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! I'm going to try and attach a picture of the cake the bride wants. Again, thank you!

19 replies
poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 20

I have seen that kind of cake but don't know how to do it. Here's a bump.

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 20

I used a wedge of foam in between my tiers. I still place my dowel straight up and down though--so they could be added after the tier is stacked so that they get placed properly.

I had all my engineering all figured out before I baked!

I'd recommend using small tiers--hope it's not a 300 serving cake! lol And my bottom tier was flat on the board--not tilted--a little easier.

Michellers Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 20
jamiekwebb Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 20

I bet that if you posted a picture you would get more help faster

julitre1 Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 20

Michellers, yes, it is similar. I wasn't able to upload the picture, having trouble with my scanner, so I found one on cc, it is by jillmakescakes and it was the winter topsy turvy. I like the help of the pvc pipe idea and the foam blocks. The cake is going to feed 96 people, so I'm using the smallest tiers possible, the top is 6" round, then 8" square, then 10" round and the bottom is a 12" square. Hope that helps, please keep all ideas coming. I love them!

julitre1 Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I used a wedge of foam in between my tiers. I still place my dowel straight up and down though--so they could be added after the tier is stacked so that they get placed properly.

I had all my engineering all figured out before I baked!

I'd recommend using small tiers--hope it's not a 300 serving cake! lol And my bottom tier was flat on the board--not tilted--a little easier.

yes, the bottom tier is flat icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 20

In fact, I had the center dowel firmly securely planted into the bottom board so that I just threaded the tiers onto it on site. It was an easy set up.

Do you have all your boards and wedges planned out???

You have to do some fiddling with it to get it right. If you don't have dummies, you can stack up cardboard circles and tape them together to mimic cake and get it set up now so you will have that mapped out.

julitre1 Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

In fact, I had the center dowel firmly securely planted into the bottom board so that I just threaded the tiers onto it on site. It was an easy set up.

Do you have all your boards and wedges planned out???

You have to do some fiddling with it to get it right. If you don't have dummies, you can stack up cardboard circles and tape them together to mimic cake and get it set up now so you will have that mapped out.

No, but I'm getting everything today and baking today. I'm trying to plan ahead so I'm not pulling my hair out on Saturday. I love this stuff!

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 20

Wait no longer to get your cake stand ready. As soon as you can, fit it into your schedule. You want to have a clear head and no pressure. There's a little bit of engineering to surmount. As I recall, the wedges were shorter (than I first thought they should be) and they set farther over to one side rather than centered on the cake below it.

If you use hot glue for any of this--don't glue anwhere you need or might need a dowel to penetrate. icon_biggrin.gif

In the trying to plan ahead thought pattern?--you are way behind where I would be in my schedule. No offense.
Just don't stress me out--it's all about me right? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Tell me when you get your geometry figured out. You're not waiting till the last minute are yah?? Cahhn't breathe...

julitre1 Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #11 of 20

LOL, I'm trying to not wait until last minute. The bride didn't get me the picture until Saturday, the 16th and I jumped right on it. Over the phone, she said it was just a simple 4-tier, no real decoration or anything. Then I got the picture and about freaked! I'm working on the cake stand tonight. I'll be working tomorrow at my actual job, from 4am to noon and then on the cake again and so on until Thursday.

-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:50am
post #12 of 20

Oh you'll be fine
<making sign of the cross glanciing upward for strength from on high> icon_biggrin.gif

No seriously, you'll be fine. Just don't take any more orders or plan on having any life at all this week beyond cake.

No those little wedges were deceiving to moi--I thought they should be so high and no no no they had to be like half that high--a little went a long way and like I said the center dowel pierced through the end of my wedges rather then the center of them which surprised me.

Your set up could easily go different than mine but those were my observations.

It's sucha fun fun cake to make.

Then I used a little shelf liner (you know the nubbly shelf liner stuff we use to keep cakes from sliding during delivery) to place on top of each wedge and maybe glued on the bottom of each cake board too so that nothing slid off and splatted. No cake splatting allowed.

And what do you have to stick in the areas between the cakes??

julitre1 Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #13 of 20

i have my husband working on the in between, while i'm working on everything else. lol, he's my assistant, which is good b/c he's a bit of a perfectionist and he helps my cakes look really good. the cake is my life outside of work, i'd rather be working on the cake. anyway, keep those helpful ideas coming please and i'll post a pic when i get it done. i just need time to freeze. lol

yamber82 Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 20

i could also use some advice here icon_smile.gif ...btw that foam is much more expensive than i thought! anyway, what do you do to hide the foam? and do you put the dowels in?

jlynnw Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:07am
post #15 of 20

To hide the foam, you can add flowers, streamers and any filler like that. You can also decorate the foam like it is "cake" and tie it in that way. I can not pull up the pic to see what yours is to look like but I hope that helps. But like K8memphis says, the wedges are smaller than you think. It is an angle geometry thing. Tilt you pans as you want the slant and look 2 inches in from the edge of the pan. That will be the height you are looking for or shorter. Hope that helps.

julitre1 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 20

ooh, thank you.

julitre1 Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #17 of 20

I did it!!! It's done!!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm attempting to post a pic so you can see it. Thank you ALL for the advice, tips and hints. I really don't think I could've done it without you.

julitre1 Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #18 of 20

here is attempt #2 to upload pic, had to resize it.
LL

Cathy26 Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:02am
post #19 of 20

well done! looks great and very steady - i havent attempted a tilted or topsey turvey yet - im too chicken so congrats!!

julitre1 Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #20 of 20

thank you, i learned a lot and am ready for my next one. :0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%