Fondant Cake Fillings...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 16 May 2009 , 2:29pm by MikeRowesHunny

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:33am
post #1 of 9

Excuse if this was done on a previous thread (if it has and you can find it that would be great)

What i wanted to know is what kind of fillings work with a fondant cake that can be left out and not refrigerated? The only ones i know of are maybe fruit ones and the 7 minute frosting which is basically sugar and egg whites whipped up, and then i am not sure.

Any suggestion would be great thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
annahgayle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annahgayle Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:48am
post #2 of 9

I am just starting out so I do not have a lot of recipes and flavors under my belt. I have made 3 fondant cakes and have used buttercream filling on all of them. It holds up well without refrigeration and can be flavored with different extracts. Others probably have better ideas but that is what works for me.

Good luck!
Annah

Elise87 Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:53am
post #3 of 9

yeh but i wasn't sure about buttercream cose i was told to always refrigerate it and have always done that. I use the one with just butter, icing sugar, water and flavouring.....can that one be left out?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

yeh but i wasn't sure about buttercream cose i was told to always refrigerate it and have always done that. I use the one with just butter, icing sugar, water and flavouring.....can that one be left out?

Most definitely! That's the only kind of buttercream I use too and I always leave my buttercream cakes out for 2-3 days and they are just fine. The only reason I would put them in the fridge would be hot weather, which being in Australia might be a problem for you, but that would only be cakes decorated in buttercream?! However, buttercream filled cakes I don't worry about because the fondant provides insulation from the heat to a large extent. I have had buttercream filled cakes at room temp for up to 4 days because of the intricate work of the decoration and those have also been just fine. HTH!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:10am
post #5 of 9

Oh, and whipped ganache (sets like truffle), meringue buttercream, commercial-made fruit preserves & curds are all great fillings too that can be kept at room temperature. I would never use fresh fruit, custards or whipped cream in cakes that were not to be refridgerated (and therefore I don't offer them as most of my cakes cannot be put in the fridge due to fondant/gumpaste work!).

Elise87 Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:39am
post #6 of 9

Thanks alot bonjovibabe for clearing that up, cose i wanted to use buttercream for my fondant cakes the most but wasn't sure.

Yeh it can get pretty hot here in summer (it winter now so i am all good lol) but yeh in hot weather would put buttercream in the fridge/keep in aircon room. I have just started decorating recently so i havn't experienced decorating during the summer lol

So a fondant cake with buttercream filling even in summer as long as you don't keep into heat too long eg when transporting should be ok?

Oh and thanks for the suggestions of other fillings too, is all very very helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 9

I also do mostly fondant cakes and so I need to leave my cakes out. I stick with either an american type buttercream, SMBC or a sleeved fruit filling. I have heard that you have to refrigerate curd fillings? I also just did a cake with a whipped ganache filling and that was fine. But none of my cakes sit out for more than 2 days. I have done a fondant cake filled with a raspberry cream cheese filling but JanH helped me find a shelf stable CC filling and it sat out for only 1 day. I'm very cautious when it comes to fillings and cakes sitting out. It's always better to err on the side of caution.

Elise87 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks SHogg, and yeh i read somewhere that lemon curd fillings do have to be refrigerated. I also also very cautious with that stuff too icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 9

If you buy lemon curd (or any other flavour) in a jar in the supermarket that can be kept on the shelf in your pantry, then it is no problem in a cake for a few days either. Look on the jar, if it doesn't say 'keep refridgerated', then it's no problem. I use Chivers myself. Now, freshly made curds are entirely a different matter and they should be put in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%