Stacking Cake Please Please Help

Decorating By TessaWood Updated 17 May 2009 , 9:42pm by JanH

TessaWood Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:07am
post #1 of 18

I am desperate for a decent delicious recipe for a stacked or tiered cake my stacking attempts have all been very scary with a couple of disasters. The bottom layer of my stack collapsed! I hade to start for scratch! If you could please help with any advise I would be forever indebted . Thank you

17 replies
DreamInCake11 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:39am
post #2 of 18

A lot of people swear by the WASC recipe. I've had great results using it. Or if you use a box mix, add a small dry package of Jello instant pudding and an extra egg to the ingredients called for on the box.

HTH

JanH Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:57am
post #3 of 18

What type of support system are you using for your stacked/tiered cakes?

Cakes only have to support their decorations, not the weight of the cakes above them....

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:
(Also includes popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, fondant and doctored cake mixes/WASC.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

There's an illustrated link to commonly used cake support systems with complete directions. Also check out Leahs post on the SPS support system.

HTH

TessaWood Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 18

Aah this is great thank you very very much! I do still have one problem, I need a recipe from scratch as unfortunatly we don't have box betty crocker here in this country.

Deb_ Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 18

for yellow cake google "Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake" it's really delicious.

For chocolate cake google "hershey's perfectly chocolate chocolate cake" yummy!!

TessaWood Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 18

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER!! Found the recipes. I see the one site uses ginger!? Is that right have you tried that?

TessaWood Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 18

Mm jello instant pudding wow interesting... Are we talking about jelly the wobbly flavoured gelatine jelly? Do you use flavoured jello?

Deb_ Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaWood

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER!! Found the recipes. I see the one site uses ginger!? Is that right have you tried that?

Yes, I've tried it with the ginger, but honestly it was such a small amt (1/2 tsp if I remember correctly), I didn't notice any difference in taste, so I omit it now.

I think you'll really like this cake, just be sure to whip the butter/sugar til light and fluffy, it makes a difference.

Good luck!

Evoir Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:01am
post #9 of 18

Tess - no, its not the clear wobbly jelly, its an instant pudding mix.

Cakechick123 Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:11am
post #10 of 18

Welcome fellow South African, hope you enjoy this site!!!!

I have not had great sucess with US recipes, I think the ingredients are just different enough to make the cakes flop.

TessaWood Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:08am
post #11 of 18

Thank you for your replys!!!!!! He hee dont I look super silly! Instant pudding being what you whip up with milk?

Evoir Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:34am
post #12 of 18

Tess - no, not silly at all! I am in Australia, and its taken me a while to decipher the plethora of American additives and such with cake baking icon_smile.gif

Yes, you make the puddings up with milk, but I think in the recipes you add the powder to the mix dry, not with the pudding made up?? I'm sure a US post-er will chime in with the facts icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:03am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Tess - no, not silly at all! I am in Australia, and its taken me a while to decipher the plethora of American additives and such with cake baking icon_smile.gif

Yes, you make the puddings up with milk, but I think in the recipes you add the powder to the mix dry, not with the pudding made up?? I'm sure a US post-er will chime in with the facts icon_smile.gif

Yup you're correct that is what some people do, although I could never quite understand how mixing in another *dry* ingredient magically makes the cake more moist!?!?!?!? icon_confused.gif Along with the pudding mix, they are adding an extra egg too I believe.

I'm a scratch baker so I just use the old boring stuff like flour, sugar, butter, eggs, etc.

Evoir Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #14 of 18

Yep, same here!

My recipes sound positively boring compared with some of the recipes on CC!

Flour, baking powder, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, milk and other primary ingredients!!

rharris524 Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 18

Whenever I need to do tiers, I use half whatever flavor and half pound cake. Also, don't over fill your layers. I've yet to have on collapse...knock on wood.

TessaWood Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 18

Mm half in half that makes good sense! Thank you!!

JanH Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 18

Scratch white almond sour cream cake recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-132261-.html

HTH

JanH Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #18 of 18

Scratch white almond sour cream cake recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-132261-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%