Little Bit Of A Crazy Question

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 17 May 2009 , 9:32pm by 7yyrt

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #1 of 13

...But does anyone know if Cinderella's dress is pink or blue?

Lots of photos in here have cinderella in a blue dress but if you are looking at a cake where the birds and mice are making the dress then its pink i.e. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1099163.

I am thinking of recreating this cake for my niece but if I change the dress to blue. i dont particularly want a bottom round - I can put the mice etc on the board but then I wont have a place to put her name etc. If I put her name on the board it will get lost with the rest of the stuff. If I do put a bottom round I dont think white will work because the dress is light blue with a white petty coat and I think it will look pretty bland. Any ideas for the colour scheme?

12 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:37am
post #2 of 13

Disney's Cinderella had 2 dresses. The first dress, the one the mice made for her was pink. But it was torn apart by her step sisters. Her second dress, from her fairy godmother, was blue.

If you make her dress blue and put it the mice, it won't be "true" to the story but if you don't mind that, then go for it. I have to say though that kids are notorious sticklers for accuracy in their cartoons. Part of the reason why I'm glad I don't make character cakes is that inevitably a child will go, "but that's not how Ben10 REALLY looks like, the omnitrix has this button and that button..." (replace Ben10 with cartoon character of choice!)

A blue dress with white petticoat...hmmm... you can still follow the idea on the picture of laying down "floorboards" to define the dress from the white floor. As for the name, I'd make a banner or scroll and prop it up among the detritus on the floor.

Let us know how it turns out.

ahuvas Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 13

haha i better rent the video - i dont remember that at all...

I made a figurine for practice to see if i was up to it because i have never done anything like this before and it doesnt look too bad.
sorry about quality of photo took it on my phone.

thanks for your response
LL

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 13

The mouse lookds great!

ahuvas Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 13

Okay another question - in all the cinderella cakes the top part of the dress is made to look like a dress dummy. I assume most people made this out of fondant but I realised that if you take the arms and head of the doll pick you get an excellent shape. does anyone have any ideas on how to turn the skin colour into a dark brown black so it looks a little less like a plastic doll body?

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 13

I think most of the dress forms I have seen have been covered with fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 13

My comment is that Cinderella could have any kind of dress you want--because she belongs to all of us not just to Disney--kwim? I mean sure we mostly think of the Disney version but she was our fairy tale first. So any kind of artistic license you want to use is more than fine and probably better too because the less Disney the better in some ways. But of course maybe your little neice identifies with the D one the most--but just saying.

Just a Cinderelly thought.

And I love that mouse!!

ahuvas Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 13

frankly she doesn't know one Disney character from another. She has been obsessed with wiggles for the past two years but Ill be darned if I make another wiggles themed cake. I cant tell you what I love so much about this cake but there are a few cakes on cake central that just fill me happiness - this is one of them.

Any ideas on the dress form?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 13

I liked the end dance when the fairies were switching the dress color back and forth between pink and blue.
PINK! BLUE! PINK! BLUE! PINK! BLUE!

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 13

'I liked the end dance when the fairies were switching the dress color back and forth between pink and blue.
PINK! BLUE! PINK! BLUE! PINK! BLUE!'

*cough* Sleeping Beauty *cough* icon_smile.gif if you want to get very specific with it then her dress in the original Disney version was a pale silver/almost a baby clue. When it was mass produced with the other princesses it was too similar to Ariel's because the only big dress she has is her white wedding dress. So Cindy was bumped to blue and Aurora was given the pink...oh well that's what I get for working with the mouse *wink*

do the dress how ever you'd like it to be icon_biggrin.gif.

7yyrt Posted 17 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 13

Was that Sleeping Beauty?

Well heck, it has been several decades since I had little ones.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 13

7yyrt . . . What is ur display picture? everytime i see it if BAFFLES me, im like is a fish , a cake, a head a what. . ive no idea. . .

Sorry to go off topic. I love the blue dress i really do, i think you should go with the blue, its a much prettier design than the pink one lmao. x

7yyrt Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 13

I like the blue dress better myself.
- - -
Caths_Cakes : She's my Auntie Griselda cake. My favorite cake to date, most cakes and cookies I make are 'home style'. I use her for my avatar on a couple of websites.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%