Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By pjem Updated 20 May 2009 , 1:11pm by ziggytarheel

pjem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjem Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 11

This may be a silly question but I am in the process of frosting a cake with a cream cheese frosting. I have never used cream cheese frosting before and was wondering if I had to refrigerate the cake after it is frosted. I do not usually refrigerate my cakes. If it does need to be refrigerated, how long can I leave it out during a wedding or paryt? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks icon_confused.gif

10 replies
floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 11

I've left cream cheese frosting out overnight and it's been fine. I just read a recipe for CCF on Epicurious and they said you could leave it out for 8 hours.
I hope that helps.

Melissa

pjem Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the help. That is what I needed to know. I did have some trouble with this recipe though. It was too thin to begin with and was sliding off the sides of the cake and mine seemed to be al little greasy. I added more sugar and that seemed to help but it tastes great.

pammy103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammy103 Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 11

I will be making a carrot cake with cr cheese frosting for my mil 80th birthday. We will eat it Sat. night and I need to decorate it on Fri. and transport it to a lake house on Sat. morning. I do plan to use some fondant decorations. I'm concerned about refrigerating it. 1. because of the cr cheese frosting and 2. because of the fondant on it.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 11

You're fine putting the frosted cake in the fridge. I've always heard that you shouldn't put fondant in the fridge. But Macsmom said that she refrigerates hers all the time and never has a problem. So, if you can find out from her. But I think you'll be fine. Can you apply the fondant decorations when you get there?
Hopefully someone with more lnow-how can either set me straight or tell us I got it right!

Melissa

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 11

I have only refridgerated one fondant cake, and in the end, it looked ok (my book cake in my photos), but I wish I hadn't. I covered the cake in white fondant, and then painted to book cover on with gel colors/vodka. When I took it out of the fridge, the condensation that had formed under the fondant was trying to find a way out, so it came through the fondant making it wet, and created some air bubbles. I had to do a lot of touch ups! I would think if you only have fondant accents though, it would be fine.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 11

I just made a cake the other day using cream cheese frosting. I didn't refrigerate it in for about a day and it was fine. I used the recipe from Ednas site.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 11

I'm am just a homebaker and I do admit I have on several occasions over the years left creamcheese frosted cakes out for more than 24 hours and no one got sick.

That being said, it is generally NOT considered safe to do that!!!!!

There are shelf stable recipes that can be left out for several hours, but otherwise, you are risking making people sick. I strongly caution you not to leave cream cheese frosting out unless you are using a recipe that is considered by those in the know to be truly shelf stable. Otherwise, I've heard that the cake can be out anywhere from 2 hours to a total of 4 hours (including time the cheese spent in your cart, on the counter softening, in your mixing bowl, etc.). I'm not an expert, but if I would err on the side of safety and caution.

pammy103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammy103 Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 11

Edna's site??? Please give details.

Thanks!

pjem Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you everyone for your help. I am also a homebaker and I am doing this cake for a family friend. I am concerned about making people sick because it will be August. The reception site is air conditioned but I still have to get the cake there and set it up a few hours before the reception. I will probable talk to the bride and see if I can change her mind some how. Let me know if any of you know of a way that I can pull this off.

Thanks

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjem

Thank you everyone for your help. I am also a homebaker and I am doing this cake for a family friend. I am concerned about making people sick because it will be August. The reception site is air conditioned but I still have to get the cake there and set it up a few hours before the reception. I will probable talk to the bride and see if I can change her mind some how. Let me know if any of you know of a way that I can pull this off.

Thanks

You can use a recipe that has been deemed shelf stable, such as this one:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%