How Do I Price This Cake?

Decorating By ivgotahalo Updated 16 May 2009 , 11:40am by ivgotahalo

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

I know this question is asked ALL THE TIME but I need some help. I'm thinking of doing this cake. 3 teirs feeding 75 people. Real flowers ...thanks to all your great advice icon_biggrin.gif . How much?!?! This will be my first wedding cake so I have no idea how much to charge... Thanks for any advice!!
LL

4 replies
Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 5

Hello....
It's can be hard to come up with a price...you have to include figuring in the cost of each ingredient, the amount of baking time, the amount of time you spent on it from start to finish, (an hourly wage for you) set up and delivery fee, cost of boards, there are so many things to consider. Also, what do the bakeries around you charge? Around here, it's common to charge $2.25 to $3.00 for a cake covered in BC, and $3.25 to $4.00 per guest for cake covered in fondant. Find out what is going on in your area, then factor this in with the other cost, to come up with what you should charge.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 5

I think I would do like about $7 a serving plus the cost of the flowers. My base price for fondant is $4 or $4.50--I don't do a ton of cakes right now and I can't remember what I charged last time. (I hope it was $4.50.)

But anyway--that's a lot of fondant and you'll need to employ some additional expertise to get it all standing up there so pretty and ruffley.

It's gonna be heavy too.

If I was doing that cake I would knead a ton of cornstarch into my fondant so it will stay put.

Practice that style--don't be coming around with 24 hours to go and getting all oh woe is me--you practice that cake then put it in your car on a hot humid day and drive around with it for a while.

signed, Mother Hen icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

You gonna do like a 10x9x8? Or was that your next question. icon_biggrin.gif

Actually a 9x8x7 is spot on 75 by Wilton's.

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:40am
post #5 of 5

Thanks Mother Hen! That's all perfect info!! You're wonderful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%