Michaels Flyers?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 22 May 2009 , 2:05am by jlynnw

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 36

Is it just me, or is Michaels not having as many flyers as they used to? It seems I only get one or two a month.

And when the heck is the foam core going on sale? icon_smile.gif I'm running low and it seems like it's been six months or more since it was on sale for $1 / sheet! aaacck!

35 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 36

Not to sound like a total looser but ummm...what is a foam core?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 36

Yeah, they are printing out 40% off coupons with your receipt now. Every time I go there and get something I get a 40% off for the next week. Works for me cause I never can find a Sunday paper around here LOL

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 36

i buy it when it is $1.00 also.. they have been giving out 40 % coupons from the register lately.. i work at michaels , teaching wilton. we were talking about that the other night. i guess it is to save money.. a.c. moore has it for that price a lot of times too..

beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 36

Thanks guys. At least I'm not going crazy. It's very frustrating though, I live 50 miles from the closest Michaels and 65 from ac moore. So it's not like i can get there every week!

bakermommy4 - foam core is sheets of styrofoam sandwiched between poster board. It provides great support for cakes.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #6 of 36

YOu can google it and coupons come right up icon_smile.gif

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 36

Also, you can sign up for Michaels flyers to your email. That way you get a coupon almost every week. icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 36

good ideas! I'm assuming the 40% coupons are off one reg-priced item?

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 36

Michales also takes Jo-anns coupons. My store will take both at the same time if you have a 40% and 50% just so they are not the same %.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 36

Aren't you lucky - the two Michael's that I go to (65 miles apart) will only accept one coupon at a time regardless what kind it is. I just get tired of running over to the one that is closest me once a day for a week for one item at a time.

I hope someone will post when their foam core goes on sale for $1 a sheet. Even with the 40% off coupon it is still expensive

beachcakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 36

Ask and ye shall receive!! icon_smile.gif There is a flyer today and foamcore is on sale for $1.50!!! Not as good as $1 but I'll take it!!
Thanks guys!

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 36

I looked over the ad last weekend and didn't even notice it. Thanks you for posting.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 36

My Michael's accepts AC Moore coupons and vice versa...(the ones for a % off a single item, not a total purchase). I find AC Moore coupons on their website....Tuesdays are usually 50% off an item. Good for those big-ticket purchases!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #14 of 36

I thought that Michaels didn't accept print out coupons? Did they change that?

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 36

They take them here in Northern Virginia, hopefully your store will too...

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #16 of 36

I get the coupons in my Email and if you are desperate you can usually do a search here on CC and someone has usually posted the weekly coupon .

If any Of you have a Dollar Tree store near you that is the best place to get your foam core . I get mine there all the time . I actually like it better than the foam core from Michaels. It is Always $1 at the Dollar Tree! icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #17 of 36

Mine come on email once or twice a month....

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #18 of 36

The foamcore that's on sale this week is the 3/16". I prefer the 1/2" since its sturdier for a tiered cake. Do you use just one 3/16" or glue two of them together to make it sturdier?

beachcakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:52pm
post #19 of 36

I bought 12! icon_smile.gif If I'm making a drum for a tiered cake, I'll hot glue 2 together - much cheaper than the drums.

PinkLisa Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 36

How do you cut the foamcore? I guess the 3/16" would be easier to cut than the 1/2". When I cut the 1/2" the edges were VERY rough even though I was very careful with the xacto knife. I scored first and then went around and around. I love the light weightness of the foamcore.

beachcakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #21 of 36

I find that the sharper the xacto blade, the less problem with the edges. But I also have a hot knife that is like an electic xacto, which is made to cut through styrofoam. I got it at Michaels, I think it was around $15. But I'm usually too lazy to wait for it to heat up and just use a regular xacto. I cover the foamcore anyway so the rough edges aren't even noticeable.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #22 of 36

I signed up to get emails from Michael's so I have been getting coupons like once a week, even when there is not a sales ad. I just print out 2 or 3 and take my kids with me to check out in a different cash register. To get the most out of my trip there.

PinkLisa Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensor

I signed up to get emails from Michael's so I have been getting coupons like once a week, even when there is not a sales ad. I just print out 2 or 3 and take my kids with me to check out in a different cash register. To get the most out of my trip there.

What do you cover it with that hides the rough edges -- ribbon? That's what I use but I think the rough edges would show through. I think I'll get the styrofoam cutter.

JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #24 of 36

I print a few copies of each coupon I get in my Email also. I have my daughter and husband go with me So I get to use 3 each visit. They just check out in the same line as me I am pretty sure the ladies at the register know what the deal is . I mean a big ole oilfield worker in there buying featherweight bags ? hahahahahah I have even turned around and handed my daughter money from my change.... I usually take a couple extra copies of the coupon and give them to people in the cake decorating aisle. Might as well share...

I use the 3/16 foam core ( that's the only one Dollar Tree carries ) and when I need sturdier I glue 2 together. I have never had a problem cutting it with an exacto knife, but I have been thinking of getting the hot knife someone here on CC recommended it.

beachcakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #25 of 36

I cover the whole "drum" with decorator's foil. If i have a complimentary ribbon, i'll put that around the edge.

JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I cover the whole "drum" with decorator's foil. If i have a complimentary ribbon, i'll put that around the edge.

Ditto!

Works great, Cheaper than Drums!

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #27 of 36

WOW! thanks for the awesome tip! I have to do a tiered cake for my course 3 final and I didn't want to spend the big bux on a drum, this will work awesome!

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #28 of 36

Is there a way to post the micheals email coupon? For some reason I dont get it and I used to. I even tried unsubscribing and re signing up for it, still nothing.

beachcakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyMama

WOW! thanks for the awesome tip! I have to do a tiered cake for my course 3 final and I didn't want to spend the big bux on a drum, this will work awesome!

They are expensive - but not only that - the Wilton ones are very flimsy! You're better off buying them from a cake shop, if you were to buy them. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #30 of 36

This one is good till friday. you can print more than one copy and use as many as you want at different times (one each day) or take someone with you and have them use one too..
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%