New To Gum Paste - Drying Out?

Decorating By Kenzy Updated 17 May 2009 , 11:22pm by idjitmom

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 4

Just a mom here and new to CC ~ I have been making flowers to be used in a cake on Memorial they look wonderful, but I have noticed in the last 24hrs the are getting really fragile and beginning to look dried out or crackish - Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I'm using Wiltons premade paste and they are on wire in foam.

Thank you to everyone in advance for your help!

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 4

if i don,t make nicholas lodge gumpaste recipe.. i use wilton premade all the time.. i teach gumpaste flowers at michaels. and i and the students use this gumpaste.. when i take it out of the package.. i break it up into around 4 logs.. i knead and stretch and knead these logs with little shortening on my fingers. then i roll these logs seperate and wrap in saran wrap and then into freezer bags.. then into the frig or freezer.. that is how i keep mine.. doing this to gumpaste keeps it pliable and soft. and easy to work with.. anytime , you go back and need to work with it.. you put a little shortening on your fingers and rework it into the gummpaste.. then it should not be cracking and dry looking.. hth

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 4

Mine never do, I use Wiltons premade also (though if there is some hard dried gumpaste on the top of the package I break that off and put it in my "glue" then I knead it alot with Crisco on my hands. They will be fragile after drying though, especially the orchids. I make double what I need because I know they will break on me.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 4

Try using a 50/50 gumpaste fondant mix. It is easier to work with since it doesn't dry so fast, but it still dries just about as hard as gumpaste. I also find that it gives a bit more of a softer edge/look, & since it dries slower it's at least a little better about cracking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%