Chocolate Ganache?

Decorating By Lily13526 Updated 17 May 2009 , 4:37am by ceshell

Lily13526 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I just find out about CC and I think is a great site! very helpful : )

I need a favor. I can't find a recipe for Chocolate ganache. I heard is great to cover the cake with ganache and once is set you can cover it with fondant and is much more smooth than buttercream, but I haven't try cause I don't know how to make chocolate ganache. Can someone help me? Thanks very much for your help!

Lily

5 replies
ceshell Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 6

I think there are several recipes here in the recipe section, just click on the tab near the top bar and type in ganache. However, what I use is simply a 1:1 ratio of chocolate to cream i.e. 8oz chocolate to 8oz cream. Heavy cream is the best, the heavier the better (Trader Joe's makes restaurant grade heavy cream; 40% fat). Chop the chocolate into small bits and place in a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil over medium heat in a small saucepan, and then boil for 1 minute. Pour over chocolate, let sit for 1 minute, then slowly whisk until it thickens and becomes smooth. At this point I add in some unsalted butter (1 tbsp or so) and maybe a tsp of vanilla. Corn syrup gives it a shine but you don't need that if you're covering w/fondant. Anyway, cover + let cool.

This is but one way to do it! There are numerous techniques and recipes and it also depends on the % chocolate you use (i.e. milk versus 56% semisweet vs 70% bittersweet). Look around here on CC if you don't get more answers, and also check the forums (use the search)...you are bound to find more answers while you are waiting!

Oh, and welcome to CC!

rfazio121 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 6

My simple chocolate Gnache recipe

enough for 9" round
1 pkg of room temp cream cheese (do not use spreadable)
3 cups confectionery sugar
1 9 oz pkg bakers semi sweet chocolate squares
2 Tbs flavoring ( vanilla extract, raspberry or orange liquor, mint etc)

In a large bowl mix cream cheese till slightly softened
Pour in confectionery sugar and completely incorporate with cheese
Melt chocolate and pour into the sugar mixture
Immediately add flavoring and mix till incorporated (don't over mix it will become grainy)
Frost right away it sets up quickly! Refrigerate frosted cake for 1 hr for complete setting.

sweetjan Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

I use Ceshell's recipe and method, and it's wonderful. Just made a batch the other day, and the people at work loved it. But now I want to try rfazio121's recipe just to compare icon_wink.gif
And welcome, Lily13526 and rfazio121 !!!!

Peridot Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 6

Everyone makes ganache sound so simple I might have to try Ceshell's method.

ceshell Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 6

It really is sooo simple. I forget which website I found that method on but it has been a tried n' true for me ever since.

For what it's worth, if you want to whip it you just leave it on the counter overnight (or at least 8 hours) (or you can refrigerate it for a few hours to speed up the process but don't over-refrigerate or it will get too cold.) You want it to be room temp; it will be nice and thick. Then you whip it for a very brief time; for me it's like 10...maybe 20 secs top. Don't overwhip or it will "break" on you! But if you whip it briefly, just till it lightens in color, it becomes a bit airier and great for spreading onto a cake like normal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%