Please Help. Can I Fridge It

Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:13am by cakecrazy09

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 5

I am delivering a graducation cake tomorrow for a party on Sunday. It has cream cheese filling and graduation hat (flat top and tassle out of fondant). Will putting the cake in the fridge be a problem for the fondant? Thanks in advance.

4 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 5

It will make it form condensation on the fondant. If you take it out and let it dry it will be okay, but then you have the issue of the cream cheese that shouldn't sit out. I would take the hat off or at least the fondant parts before refrigerating it and then replace them.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 5

Cakecrazy, condensation comes from the warm, moist air outside of the fridge, drawn to condense on the colder cake when you take it out of the fridge. The moisture is not coming from the cake. So if you can have something between that moist, warm air and the cake when you take it out of the fridge, the condensation will form on that, rather than on the cake.

So, if you can't do as kandu suggests and chill it without the fondant, then I suggest you chill it until the cream cheese frosting is firm enough to be loosely covered with plastic wrap. Or if you have a cakesaver, chill it inside that. Then, when you take it out, the condensation that will be drawn to it from the warmer outside air will collect on the wrapping/cakesaver lid, rather than on the cake itself.

Though eventually, you'll need to uncover it. But by then, there should be less of a temp difference. And you should be okay.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 5

Just to doublecheck here though: is your fondant grad cap a 3D cap, or is it 2D (i.e. flat on the cake)? If it's 3D and made of fondant rather than gumpaste, I wouldn't refrigerate it, as the fondant might soften and droop. If it's 2D then it will probably be just fine, esp. if you follow the above advice. Also it depends on which fondant you use anyway; Satin Ice and Michele Foster's recipe (among others) refrigerate just fine.

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 5

It is a 2D flat part of the hat. I'm going to take my chances and put it in the fridge and hope the condensation doesn't cause to much trouble. I already put the top and tassle on the cake. I'm afraid to take it off. Thanks for answering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%