College Grad Cake... Help Please

Decorating By kellertur Updated 16 May 2009 , 5:06pm by kellertur

kellertur Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order for a college grad cake for a girl (I know her name, that's it). I don't have the college name (colors, etc.) or anything else to work with... can anyone please tell me how to deal with the color issue? Getting further info is not possible... believe me, I've tried...

My plan is for a 8" round cake with a fondant diploma/hat (white), but how do I incorporate color into this cake??? Any ideas?

thank you. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
janelwaters Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 9

Oh MY! That is a really hard one! Can you make the round cake into the cap and make it black or navy blue and put the fondant diploma on the side of the cake board??

Just my idea - good luck!!! You could do so much more if you could get more information!!! why are they being so difficult??

stephaniescakenj Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 9

hey stranger, it's been awhile! hope you're doing well...anyway, you certainly have a dilemna! I'm actually sort of in a similar bind for a double graduation but I do know the colors at least. I also plan to make two graduation caps on the top of a tiered cake stand and making cupcakes for the bottom. I think you'd do just fine making a graduation cap with gold accents and a diploma. That's a pretty generic color scheme.

kellertur Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 9

Those are good ideas. Thanks icon_smile.gif

This is a repeat customer, so I can't complain. They just really don't have preferences, just needed a yummy, decorated vegan cake. The good news is that she called my cake "out of this world!", which was a HUGE compliment considering how uninterested she seemed the first time she ordered. (like it was more of an obligation for her). This time she showed a lot of enthusiasm, but still didn't care how I decorated it. (I'm just not someone who can hand over a plain's a fault of mine, I guess... it has to have "something").

icon_cool.gif Stephanie, it has been a while. icon_smile.gif I was just thinking about you yesterday... I hope all is well with you too and the bakery progress.

bbmom Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 9

I think a black grad cap with diploma and as suggested gold accents would be good, plus since its a girl you can add all sorts of color with lots of flowers, lace or ruffle borders, ribbon etc.

kellertur Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 9

Black caps aren't just for boys anymore? icon_confused.gif If I can do a black cap, that would really make things a lot easier...

madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:49am
post #7 of 9

Look at the one I just made for a grad getting her Bachelors...she loved it.........I didnt want to use school colors in case they were not exact.......its simple yet elegant.

bbmom Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 9

I think the black cap is "generic", when I grad from H.S. the girls wore white caps and the boys red. MY neice is graduating from college this wknd and all the caps are black.

kellertur Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone. I was up until 3am, but the woman loved it when I dropped it off.

I posted it in my photos if anyone's interested.

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%