Coloring Fondant/gum Paste

Decorating By jomar0321 Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:20pm by JenniferMI

jomar0321 Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

Does fondant take color differently than gum paste? I'm working on a cake now and had colored some gum paste then needed to use fondant and tried to get the same color but it isn't working. Now I think I've put too much gel and wasted fondant! This has happened a couple times before. Maybe I'm just too heavy handed with the gels.

4 replies
sweetjan Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 5

The rule of thumb for both is to 'start slow'....easier to darken a color than to lighten it. Same number of 'dabs' of color on each comparable size of fondant/gumpaste put side by side. hth
And welcome! to CC by the way!!

icer101 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 5

you should be able to get them the same color. just take it easy.. put a little color at the time.. . i have matched fondant and gumpaste close enough...you couldn,t tell the difference.. hth

TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure if they take colors differently but I will say in my experince that gum paste tends to dry lighter. I recently made a black bow out of straight gum paste. I colored it black black, and left it to try. The gum paste I hadn't used and was still in the bag was still black the next day. The bow loops themselves dried a light black color. I also colored some black fondant to do zebra print on the same cake. The next day the black fondant was still black.

Thankfully I have an airbrush and was able to airbrush the bow black.

JenniferMI Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 5

If your base paste, the fondant AND the gumpaste are exactly the same color to start with, they should take the color the same way.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%