Why???

Decorating By Criola Updated 20 May 2009 , 3:57pm by FromScratch

Criola Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 40

Okay, we are all adults here. I visit alot of forums and too often I see comments like " there were 20 views and no reply?" and those who make the statement seem to be annoyed...atleast that's what I get out of it. As someone who is NEW to the cake world, I am always visiting the forums and sometimes I reply, sometimes I don't MAINLY, because I don't have the answer BUT I TOO am looking for the answer to the same question that was asked with hopes that someone was able to provide one so that I TOO can learn. Please be sensitive to those who are still new to this. I don't want to feel like I can't visit a forum because I AM OBLIGATED to post a reply.

39 replies
LittleLinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 40

I will add that some subject lines are vague, and it might not be what you thought it was.

artscallion Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 40

I know, Linda. I hate when there's an intriguing subject line like "OMG! I lost..." Then you can't help but click on it, only to discover some gem of a first post like, "my car keys" or "my creativity".

But my real favorites are posts that ask questions they could easily find the answers to themselves. Like, "where do I find a pan shaped like a Christmas tree?" Like they want us to search around for them. I'm always so tempted just post... You can find it here

crazycaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 40

I love your link, artscallion!

sweetkake Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 40

[quote=" But my real favorites are posts that ask questions they could easily find the answers to themselves. Like, "where do I find a pan shaped like a Christmas tree?" Like they want us to search around for them. I'm always so tempted just post... You can find it here[/quote]

artscallion, that's hysterical. You're funny, funny, rotflmbo.

kakeladi Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 40

To the OP:
If you also are looking for an answer to that same ?, just post that (as a reply) and it will bump up the post so others might see it and someone just might see that who would not have seeen the original post. It does help to say something along the lines of "I too am looking for just that same info!"

weirkd Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 40

I have the same feeling sometimes. You wonder if they have even bothered to look. Obviously if they know how to post on the forum them they must know how to google it. I would think, anyway! So for comments like "where can I find this??" Well google it like the rest of us!! But if you want to know who is cheaper or which one is better, THEN post the question!!
And do they even know that there is a search button up there that they can actually search the site before they post? I can understand new to the cake decorating world or new to the computer age but work with us!

sweetkake Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 40

Thank you kakeladi, I didn't know that.

kimblyd Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 40

Artscallion,

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Love it!

scoutmamma Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 40

Im guilty... i tend to read and not reply because i think i am not qualified to reply. I am still a novice, and feel like i shouldnt be giving advice to newer people until i get more comfortable with my own skills. I read to learn, but dont reply. so i agree if i am intending to bump, then say bump, or "i am wondering that myself... " Good ideas!

JodieF Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 40

They would prefer you don't "bump" or "save" here. Here is a thread with Jackie's comments on it.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-262693-0.html

I'm truly not trying to sound like a smart aleck, but threads like those just aren't worth worrying about! No one has to justify why they post or don't post. We can comment or NOT comment. We ALL have annoyances about things that we don't like on the forums. Why post more threads about them? That will just annoy the folks that get annoyed about threads about things that annoy them! icon_lol.gif

Life is too short. You don't like a thread or comment, ignore it. If you don't want an opinion, don't ask for it. If you don't get the responses you want, try searching the forums. You aren't going to change folks, especially by gently lecturing them on forum etiquette.

Now, feel free to ignore MY post!

LisaR64 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #12 of 40

JodiF...WELL SAID!!! I find it strange how many people feel compelled to lecture or punish others who dare to act or speak in a way they personally disapprove of, instead of just ignoring the post and moving on.

As long as a poster isn't breaking any site rules, who cares if they ask the same question for the 1000th time, or use poor grammar, or comes across too demanding, too sarcastic, etc. Ignoring the post sends a message in and of itself without all of the drama.

Sure, lots of CC posts annoy me, but who am I to lecture other adults on their behavior...that's a job for their family and friends icon_smile.gif I gave up trying to change other people a long time ago, it's way too exhausting and the successes just don't warrant the efforts.

weirkd Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #13 of 40

Im truely an average ignorer on it. I see it all the time and just think to myself what I just posted earlier. Im not speaking for the others on here but sometimes its nice to vent about it. Then I go back on my marry little way ignoring it again!
And Im sure I annoy someone at some point and I dont mind if they vent about stuff I do either! So on my marry little way now...

velcrostiletto Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #14 of 40

I was just thinking this same thing earlier today, I am hardly ever in the position to give much advice on here, so I usually cant really reply.
Sometimes its offensive with the way people who post these types of comments kind of just blow up in your face about not answering their question!

Elise87 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #15 of 40

yeh i answer when i can and if i can't i don't and sometimes i don't know the answer so i wait for someone else to say something cose i want to know. Cose i do this i understand why so many people view and don't reply so it doesn't usually bother me as long as someone can help me at some point i am happy lol Oh and i always like to thank people for their help....

Ohhh and I LOOVVEEE artscallion's link LOL

7yyrt Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 40

One thing to remember about view numbers, is that a nonmember and search spider can view, but not post.
Also, we are not all adults here. There are many underage members. (Not that I'm dissing underage members... good for them coming here!)

tonedna Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkake

[quote=" But my real favorites are posts that ask questions they could easily find the answers to themselves. Like, "where do I find a pan shaped like a Christmas tree?" Like they want us to search around for them. I'm always so tempted just post... You can find it here

artscallion, that's hysterical. You're funny, funny, rotflmbo.[/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif ...Is funny, cause I have tutorials in Youtube and sometimes the answers are in the video, yet sometimes people still ask..

I wonder if the answer is that the person is not use to playing with computers and don't know how to do searches..and believe me in this day and age there are people that don't know how to..
Edna icon_smile.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #18 of 40

I'm still a beginner and I don't always answer posts either because I'M STILL A BEGINNER TOO. But if I have an answer...I answer, if I don't have an answer I don't and am always checking back to see if the question ever gets answered.

Before I found cc...and even still today...I am the google queen. I have googled everything from cake pans to where to purchase high ratio shortening. I just googled where to purchase dream whip for indydebi's buttercream recipe cuz it's nowhere to be found in Las Vegas. CC isn't the ONLY place that has the cake answers (the best but not the only!!)

I think that sometimes people think this forum is for "teaching" purposes and all of the experienced decorators here are here for teaching us newbies....SO NOT SO. Nobody is obligated to answer posts or questions or whatever.

Oh, and artscallion...could i pay you for that service at least 20 times a day LOL...that is too darn funny!!!

lostincake Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 40

I answer if I've had personal experience with whatever is being asked, whenever I can and if it hasn't already been said ten thousand times in previous replies.

I have posted questions before and not gotten a reply right away but usually chalk it up to the right person not having read it yet.

But everyone is different and I don't let it bother me if they feel the need to vent about not getting a reply. As my tagline says...

sadsmile Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #20 of 40

Oh wow that goggle button is hillarious!!!

izzy1953 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #21 of 40

ok, this thread reminds me of my job.............i work at a government office and people call and ask for phone numbers for EVERYTHING! not just other offices related to our line of work, but EVERYTHING....restaurants, the post office..........."do you know the number to "whatever......" No, but I can look in the PHONEBOOK...you know the thing with PHONE NUMBERS in it!!!! sorry......its just so the same thing icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

mellee Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #22 of 40

OMG Artscallion, that is a HYSTERICAL link! I wish I knew how to do that! icon_biggrin.gif

There are people who ask questions, get prompt replies, and never say thanks. Goes both ways. If I have the time, I try to help out. I'm no expert at cake making, but I AM a good cook, and sometimes I do have an answer to a general baking question. Ah well. Live and let live. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I know, Linda. I hate when there's an intriguing subject line like "OMG! I lost..." Then you can't help but click on it, only to discover some gem of a first post like, "my car keys" or "my creativity".

But my real favorites are posts that ask questions they could easily find the answers to themselves. Like, "where do I find a pan shaped like a Christmas tree?" Like they want us to search around for them. I'm always so tempted just post... You can find it here

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

OMG...laughing so hard I could pee myself...that was AWESOME!!! I can't belive how often Google ignored...it's a shame. icon_razz.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #24 of 40

Sorry for this but artscallion...how did you do that? LOL

Cakepro Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting that link. I had seen (a more vulgar version of) that link some time ago in another forum I frequently visit but I didn't bookmark it and could never find it again.

I LOVE THAT!!

I may be PMS'ing, but I am so sick of stupid questions being asked that the person could have searched for themselves.

tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

JodiF...WELL SAID!!! I find it strange how many people feel compelled to lecture or punish others who dare to act or speak in a way they personally disapprove of, instead of just ignoring the post and moving on.

As long as a poster isn't breaking any site rules, who cares if they ask the same question for the 1000th time, or use poor grammar, or comes across too demanding, too sarcastic, etc. Ignoring the post sends a message in and of itself without all of the drama.

Sure, lots of CC posts annoy me, but who am I to lecture other adults on their behavior...that's a job for their family and friends icon_smile.gif I gave up trying to change other people a long time ago, it's way too exhausting and the successes just don't warrant the efforts.

AMEN!

7yyrt Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #27 of 40

Thanks for the link, artscallion. I bookmarked it, as I must pass it on!
http://lmgtfy.com/

artscallion Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Sorry for this but artscallion...how did you do that? LOL

Glad you're all enjoying that.

- Just go to http://lmgtfy.com/
- type in the term the person is asking about.
- Then click the 'google search' button below it.
- this will give you a link to put in your forum thread post. Of course you have to disguise it so the person will be fooled into clicking the link, so...
- type something like, "Click here to find out what tylose is"
- highlight this.
- click the "URL" button in the [url]toolbar[/url] above the message box you're typing in.
- this will place [URL ] [/URL] around your text.
- place an = in the first bracket, like this [ URL=]
- paste the link the website gave you right after the =, so it looks like this [ URL=http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tylose] without the spaces

- the whole thing should now look like...

[ URL=http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tylose] Click here to find out what tylose is [/URL]

When you post it, it will look like this...

Click here to find out what tylose is

It's really not as hard as it looks.

ZAKIA6 Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #29 of 40

that link just made my whole week!

FullHouse Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #30 of 40

I post if I know an answer, watch for replies if I'd like to know an answer. I just want to say thank you to both everyone who asks the questions and those who answer. The information I've found here is invaluable and I'm always amazed at how many ccers are willing to share their knowledge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%