Don't Forget The Simple Syrup!

Decorating By Yenep Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:32am by beachcakes

Yenep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yenep Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

Started a batch of simple syrup (literally only had 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in the pot) - walked away and forgot about it. Maybe 20 minutes later I noticed a very ominous smell ... rushed to the stove to find the pot full to the rim of smoking black, charred mess and the kitchen full of smoke! Finally cleared the smoke out of the kitchen but I think the pot may be done for. The worst part is that my smoke detector did NOT go off!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 5

I would be a rich woman if I could invent a smoke detector that WOULD go off when there's a real fire, and NOT go off everytime I fry bacon or hamburgers! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What good is it doing me when I have to hang a damp towel over the smoke detector when we cook breakfast?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 5

The same thing happend to me but my smoke alarm did go off and the house was full of smoke and that horrible smell.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #4 of 5

Uhg...........been there. I was making a huge batch of hummingbird food and got distracted outside. I completely ruined my pan and thought for sure that my glass cook top was finished. Thankfully when the sugar syrup dried it peeled off my stove top. Whew!!!!

Oh, my smoke alarm was going off but the entire time I was outside thinking "hmmmm I wonder whose smoke alarm is going off" icon_rolleyes.gif Yup. icon_rolleyes.gif ..........it was mine!! icon_surprised.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 5

Were you able to salvage the pot? I think I'd just throw the whole thing out! icon_lol.gif It might be a good idea to have your smoke detector checked!

We can't take showers with the bathroom door cracked open or the smoke detector goes off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%