Alright, I Have To Know...

Baking By whisperingmadcow Updated 16 May 2009 , 2:49pm by artscallion

whisperingmadcow Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

whats the pudding for? icon_confused.gif I mean, I have read alot about people putting pudding mix into their cake mixs but what the heck is it for? Do I up the liqiud? I have only made a lemon cake with pudding added and the cake was a flop. The pudding was in the recipe, not something I just tried on my own.

Also, I want to know about simple syrups. I know how to make them and I know what they are used for but I want to know if it makes a big difference. I live in colorado which makes baking tricky (longer bake times) and I thought maybe if I brushed on a syrup it would help with the moisture of the cake. But how much do I use? can I do it with chocolate cake? Does it change the fillings I can use? It seems like simple syrups are a dirty little sercet that no one wants to talk about, but if it can improve the moistness of my cake, I might try it! icon_wink.gif

Thanks again!

6 replies
missyd4e Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

do you use magic strips when baking your cakes? These are WONDERFUL. Your cake bakes even and keeps them moist, I think. I don't use syrup, I use to until I found the WASC (White Almond Sour Creme) recipe.

whisperingmadcow Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 7

I didn't have much luck with strips. I have tried everything, but I just want a really nice moist cake.

Does anyone know...?

ptanyer Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know about the cakes that use puddings as an ingredient. I make all of my cakes from scratch and don't have any problems with them being moist. However, I found out the hard way that if you make the cakes and wrap them and put them in the refrigerator for an extended period of time (like 4 or 5 days) the cakes will dry out beyond repair. I couldn't believe that could happen, even though I had read it on CC. Frozen cakes don't lose their moisture. I also use my homemade version of baking strips and they are wonderful. They help with the moisture too. HTH's thumbs_up.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 7

I use pudding in most of my cakes, but not all of them.

The ones I use it in, the cakes a firmer ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) texture. It's really moist, not heavy but not light like angel food cake. I can't really explain it, but the cake is texture is different...almost like thicker..

I know not much help...Sorry

artscallion Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, ptayner. Refrigeration dries things out, just like air conditioning.
My better half always insists on keeping bread, etc in the fridge so it lasts longer. But it really is just the opposite. Freeze it or leave it out.

As far as moist cakes go, cakes get their moisture from whatever moisture you put in it to begin with. The key is to then get it to STAY in. Fat and sugar are two things that will help it retain the moisture. So oil will help...but not for the reason you think. It doesn't make a cake moist because it's a liquid; it makes it moist because it hangs onto the other liquids you put in and slows down their evaporation.

Some folks swear by adding 1/4 cup of mayo to any cake (mayo is basically stabilized oil and egg) for super moistness. It's worked every time I've tried it. But my standard recipes all work fine as they are, so I don't generally use it.

The other important factor is to NOT OVERBAKE! I can't stress this enough. Don't go by the time indicated in the recipe. Check it 5 minutes before it's due. If a toothpick comes out wet, check again in 5 minutes. If it's somewhere between wet and clinging crumbs, check again in three minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, but with a few crumbs clinging to it. It's done. And get to know what an "almost done" cake looks like, so you're not spending twenty minutes poking the thing, which will ruin it.

Take it out. Let it cool 10 minutes in the pan on a rack.

If these tips don't work, then it's probably your recipe...find a new one.

artscallion Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 7

Also...pudding in cakes is fine, but it does give it a denser, moistness as opposed to a light, moist texture. I never us simple syrup on my cakes. In my opinion, it makes a cake soggy (rather than moist) and less stable, because external moisture will dissolve and break down the cake's structure, leaving it more prone to cracks and breakage. Plus, it's like pouring water over a dry steak. It doesn't make it juicy; it makes it wet.

Find a good recipe and use it properly.

And weigh your ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%