Fondant Woes And Stresses Please Help!

Decorating By bemshelt Updated 18 May 2009 , 1:40pm by Walls1971

bemshelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemshelt Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

So this has probably been posted a million times but I can't find it in the forums icon_redface.gif Anyway, I have a 3 tiered stacked cake for tomorrow. The cakes are already crumb coated and in the fridge. Do I need to let the cake come to room temp? I'm so worried it will get air bubbles. Can I store it in the fridge tonight with MMF and MMF decorations? Is this a bad idea? Lastly, how do you transport cake...stacked or stacked there? AAh I'm freaking out since the girl said "This is the coolest part of my whole party." I don't want to let her down!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 7

I cover with MMF at room temp and store at room temp also (but I don't use fillings that have to go in the fridge).

It's safer to stack when you get there as long as you're comfortable assembling it in front of someone. If you decide to deliver stacked then make sure you use a center dowel.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I cover at room temperature too and I've never refrigerated a fondant cake -- too nervous about condensation and 'sweating' I guess! As long as your filling isn't something that has to be refrigerated, the cake will be fine sitting at room temp. The fondant essentially "preserves" it and keeps it fresh and moist. I've transported a 4 tier cake completely assembled before, I just made sure it was very structurally sound (supports in each tier as well as a center dowel). Good luck!

~Sarah

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 7

I hear talk about fondant sweating if refrigerated, but, honestly, I've never had that problem. I always refrigerate all my cakes, fondant or not. I've never had a problem.

KimmieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 7

I have had issues with the fondant getting really soft after it had been in the refrigerator so I no longer store it that way.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walls1971

I hear talk about fondant sweating if refrigerated, but, honestly, I've never had that problem. I always refrigerate all my cakes, fondant or not. I've never had a problem.

Do you refrigerate them covered or uncovered? If covered, loosely or tightly?

tia!

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 7

Mandyloo, I refrigerate uncovered. I don't do it for any extended time - usually overnight for delivery the next day. I've heard 'stories' of being able to freeze fondant cakes, as well (wrapped several times) and then then thawed in the fridge, then brought out to come to room temperature - but I've never personally done that. I had a customer who ordered a large fondant cake and then moved her party date to two weeks later. She loosely covered the cake and froze it. She raved about how great it was when they served it at the party. I don't know it if makes any difference, but I use MMF. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%