Hi Everyone.. I Really Need Help Please

Decorating By Theresa50 Updated 21 May 2009 , 10:00pm by Jayde

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 13

hi I just got an order for a graduation cake.. they want a grad hat made of cake the top part they want a grid or layout of a football field..how do i make a grad hat out of cake and the top of it? what would i make the tassel out of and how would i put the football field on it.. i really want to do this one.. lol.. i have seen all of your cakes..everyone here on cc is so talented so if you have any thoughts or suggestions i would so appreciate it.. its amazing what this cake is to look like and i want more than anything to give it my best.. she wants a grad hat with tassel ..football field or grid on top.. with books scattered if not to small.. wants stage curtains to go all the way around the rim of the hat and in the opening a mask with half frown and half smile... football player climbing up the tassel.. can it be done? thank you all so much for any and all help..

12 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 13

Sure it can, but I swear I will kick your booty if you are not charging at least $300 for all that figure making!!!

Now, for the hat. You can use the ball pan to make the bottom of the hat. Make the ball then cut off like 1/3 of it and use the 2/3 part, cut side down for the bottom of the hat. Shave off the top so that way you have a level surface for the square top to go on it.

Hat top: Make your square out of gumpaste or fondant with tylose. Leave it pretty thick, we are talking 1/4 inch here, and let it dry thoroughly.

Once your top is dry, make your football field on top of the square. Use BC. Make it cute, ham it up, short grass, the 50 yard line, the Warriors end zone, you could even make the goal post out of some melted chocolate.

Put a small round ball of fondant squished flat right in the middle of the field for the tassel. Attach your tassel strands and hang them off to the one side. Your little person figure is going to be too heavy to attach to the tassel, but you can stand him on top of the cap or beside it.

Once everything is dry, attach your dried top to your base with melted chocolate and as long as you keep it cool that sucker will go no where.

I hope I have made some sense. If not let me know, I might be able to clarify.

Theresa50 Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 13

oh thank you so much.. i truely truely appreciate it.. and unfortunately it won't even scratch 100 dollars..lol.. but i'm hoping this will help me get my name out some.. you are so awesome for helping me.. thank you again from the bottom of my heart..

Theresa50 Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 13

oh i forgot to mention i don't have a ball pan.. ouch.. what else could i use.. i have round cake pans and a dome type pan .. i believe it is to be used for a doll .. was givin to me awhile back.. would that help?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 13

The dome pan will work. Search grad pics and foot ball in here and get loads of ideas.Can't you put the football theme around the side of the cake and the cap on top....you can cover cardboard with fondant so its thinner and more real looking and the tossels can be needle point thread.........unless they object to somoe non edible things.

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 13

Here is a link for making tassels. She did a great job putting together the instructions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624541.html

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 13

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624541.html I just found this today on making tassels.
HTH

Theresa50 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 13

thank you all so much.. she was wanting the football field to be on the top of the hat.. and curtains to go all the way around it cause he was in theater with a half smile and half frown mask in the opening.. i love thought and am thrilled to do it.. just not sure on how to do afew of the things.. like the curtains.. how would they be applied to the rim of the hat and stay.. i will definately check out how to do the tassles.. again thank you all so much.. i love cc everyone is so helpful and sweet..

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 13

I think I would try the curtains by doing them out of a fondant/gumpaste mix, measure how long they need to be and ruffle them like in the drapes and let them dry then glue them to the hat. Basically the curtains will be holding themselves up. I hope this makes sense. If not just pm me and I will try and explain it better.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 13

Won't the curtains hide the bottom of the graduation cap?

Do you know how many she needs to serve with this cake? You may need to make the cap on top of an actual cake in order to get enough servings.

Oh $100 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap. That's quite a bit of work and ingredients for what you described.

How about offering her a 1 layer rectangular sheet cake with a football field theme and the cap and mask (smaller scale out of gp/fondant) in the corners. That's more in line with the $100 budget.

Sometimes clients have champagne taste with beer bottle budget, so we need to educate them a little.

Theresa50 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 13

thank you both so much for you help .. i thought the same thing about the curtains hiding the hat.. its to only serve about 20 to 25 ppl.. maybe curtains only on the back part? and the link you both sent is awesome.. wow the tassel is just beautiful.. so much love here on cc.. and so much talent.. again thank you i truely do appreciate it..

Theresa50 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 13

this doesn't have anything to do with the subject..this was sent to me by a friend and i just had to share..pass it around it really is fun..

Don't tell me your age; you probably would tell a falsehood anyway -but the Hershey Man will know!
YOUR AGE BY CHOCOLATE MATH
This is pretty neat.

DON'T CHEAT BY SCROLLING DOWN FIRST!
It takes less than a minute .
Work this out as you read .
Be sure you don't read the bottom until you've worked it out!
This is not one of those waste of time things, it's fun.

1. First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to have chocolate (more than once but less than 10)

2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold)

3. Add 5

4. Multiply it by 50 -- I'll wait while you get the calculator

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1759 .
If yo u haven't, add 1758.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

You should have a three digit number

The first digit of this was your original number
(i.e., how many times you want to have chocolate each week).

The next two numbers are

YOUR AGE! (Oh YES, it is!!!!!)

THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR (2009) IT WILL EVER WORK, SO SPREAD IT AROUND WHILE IT LASTS.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 13

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/

Check out Sharon's blog, she just did a super cute graduation cake. Ill bet that you can use this as inspiration. She posted details and pictures on how she made everything. Very stylish. She is so talented...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%