Help! Need Structural Advice On A 3-D Stacked Ball Cake

Decorating By Yenep Updated 15 May 2009 , 11:51pm by Yenep

Yenep Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi. I'm making a stacked 3-D sports ball cake with a basketball on the bottom, then a football, then a soccer ball. I really need to figure out what structural support to use. I was not planning to have the balls be completely round - I was thinking the basketball at the bottom would have a 4-6" flat area on the top and bottom, the football slightly smaller flat areas and the soccer ball would be round on the top and there would be a 4" or so flat base for it to sit on. I am struggling with the logistics. I don't think dowels will be enough for this cake and I'm thinking maybe I need to use a central column support? Also, I'm wondering if I will need to dowel the top half of each ball and have it supported by a cardboard base in addition to the overall structural supports.

Any help on how to make this work and advice on the roundedness of the cakes would be really helpful!

4 replies
Hollysuann Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

I had a similar idea for a graduation cake and I just couldn't figure out how to stabilize it. I am anxious to see what others have to say. icon_biggrin.gif

pumpkinroses Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

I'm no expect, but my original thought would be to have each cake on a cardboard base, dowel each cake for support and then run a long dowel down the center of the whole cake. I think the main thing would be to make sure the cakes are center on each other. HTH

poohsmomma Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 5

If I'm remembering correctly, once on Ace of Cakes, one of the guys was assembling a round cake. I think it was a big globe, and they used styrofoam (sp) for the bottom half of the sphere and the cake was the top. They were saying the bottom of the sphere would not support the top. Of course, that cake was really big.

Yenep Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

I was thinking that I might have to use styrofoam on the bottom halves. I think I must have seen that episode, too. It would probably be a lot easier for them to cut and serve the cake, too. Although my other thought was that I could stack the top half of each ball on the bottom half, supporting it with cardboard (or separator plates) and dowels... sometimes you gotta be an engineer to make cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%