Truffle Help!!!!

Decorating By Lisaa1996 Updated 15 May 2009 , 5:25pm by cakes22

Lisaa1996 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 2

I am wondering if someone out there can answer this for me....I posted yesterday but I guess no one saw it? Oh, well...try, try again icon_smile.gif.
I made a chocolate truffle filling for a cake and have leftover that I put in the fridge all wrapped up. Any idea how long it is good for? I would love to use it in a another cake but I also want to be safe and not poison anyone, lol!

1 reply
cakes22 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 2

Found this on yahoo.answers:

f you are talking about chocolate dipped truffles, and not just chocolate ganache rolled into balls, then the following will help. If you are talking about simple rolled ganache truffles, then don't worry about it. They will last almost indefinitely in the refrigerator. Just roll them in whatever you are coating them with at the last minute. You could even make the ganache balls way in advance and freeze them, then thaw in the refrigerator and on the day of the wedding roll them in different powders like powdered sugar, cocoa powder, chili powder, cinnamon, etc.

For chocolate DIPPED truffles:

If you have an area in your home where the temperature is pretty constant, and does not get hot at ALL, then 2 months is no big deal for truffles.

You need a room temperature storage area (About 74 degF) and you never want to get them up into the 80 degree F or above temperature range.

If you try to store them in the refrigerator, the moisture in the air will condense on the chocolate when you take them out, and your chocolate will absorb the water.

If you have refrigerator space, then you CAN use it to store truffles. But you have to be careful how you handle them.

First of all, you want to put them in boxes and wrap them several times with plastic wrap, and make sure the boxes are as small as the truffles can handle.

Then, when you want to bring them up to room temperature, you need to temper them as SLOWLY as possible, keeping them in the box and wrapped at all times. Move them into your basement first, or raise the temperature of your refrigerator slowly. Then move them into the coolest place of your home. You don't want the shock of "cold to hot" to cause condensation on the chocolate.

hth icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%